Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night while i was commuting home at about 10:45 at night was was stopped at a red light. A car pulls up next to me and a young (20's) lady rolls down her window, all the while still not putting down her cell phone, to tell me that i need to put more lights on me because she had a hard time seeing me. Forget the multiple blinking red LED lights that are attached to my backside, the facts that i was sitting at a red light, in a very well lit intersection. No possible way could the fact that she was talking on the cell phone, more than likely dialing and the likes while driving her car been a distraction. I realize full well that on a bike we are not as visible as most cars, but the irony here struck me as funny. I Thought i would share. I always "feel" safer when riding at night. The traffic is less, my lights i feel make me more visible, let alone the fact that i have on reflective clothing. I bit my tongue and held back the thoughts of telling her perhaps she should stop"multi tasking".

Be careful out there. Last night was proof to me that even with only one car on the road, and all necessary precausions taken, that one car can still be very dangerous.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Irony perhaps.

Although it does draw attention to the point that you can never be TOO visible. That and drivers are often unaware idiots.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Second that.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I rode the new wheelset into work today. I have reflective sidewall armadillo tires front and rear. The comment made to me today was that I looked "scary" on the road because there was so much passive reflective stuff on my bike. I have the NR universal tail light and a HID headlight so the active is bright as well. If you ride to work everyday like I do and have a dedicated bike for it, make it glow.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
When I saw the pictures of your bike I was wondering how you got the sidewalls to reflect so much. Me in my lack of wisdom never realized that some tires are going to have this option. Pretty cool.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Ridgetop said:
When I saw the pictures of your bike I was wondering how you got the sidewalls to reflect so much. Me in my lack of wisdom never realized that some tires are going to have this option. Pretty cool.
The only bad part is that 25mm is the biggest size you can get in the armadillo reflective. I would normally run a 28mm in the back, but with the new roval wheelset, I decided to go with visibility.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bigbill said:
The only bad part is that 25mm is the biggest size you can get in the armadillo reflective. I would normally run a 28mm in the back, but with the new roval wheelset, I decided to go with visibility.
Yeah, but check out the reflective action on these $9 tires from Walmart! Trouble is, they are 27X1 1/4". I don't think Walmart stocks 700C tires, yet, but with road bikes like the Denali making it into mass marketers, you never know.

- FBB

·
Registered
530 Posts
On the way in this morning I encountered a guy doing the tailgateACCELERATEtailgatetailgateACCELERATE trick along a busy road with a bike lane (Dexter here in Seattle). Essentially moving over behind each cyclist, then punching it as he passed for maximum intimidation. Add to this that he was in a Ford Explorer, a vehicle engineered to roll over and burst into flames. Add even further that when I caught up to him at a red light, he was simultaneously talking on a handheld cell phone and smoking a cigarette.

We need visibility, yes, and also car ignitions that confirm intelligence before starting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
bigbill said:

Not true... I got some Armadillo/Reflective tires on my bike... 1.85"... oh, wait... it's a MTB.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
I dont know,......At least she was kind enough to tell you, whether she was on a cell phone or not. It's very dangerous out there at night, and I can tell you up front you need to be lit up like an ambulance or risk getting run over by some other 20 year old woman on a cell phone.

i would believe her

·
Banned
653 Posts
I feel your pain and frustration. I prefer the early morning to night. But here is the kicker,
the last thing motorists expect to see are cyclists on their bikes. I think morning is worse
than the evening though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts