Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bike in the mid 80's when I was a kid. It was a "10 speed" manufactured by Huffy or Murry, or one of those types of MFG's. I rode the hell out of that thing and my dad sold it with out me knowing when I turned 16 and started driving. It was,irc, a white frame with blue bar tape and a saddle that had like an eagle and partial flag on it.

Does any one remember this bike?

I can't seem to find anything about it. I would love to come across one at a yard sale or flea market. Re-live my youth I guess.

I am about to buy a new bike this month. To replace the second hand starter bike I bought two years ago to see if I would stick with it. I did, and I am glad.

Thanks everybody,

Mac Tech Bri

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Anybody who was alive in 1976 will remember that the phrase "Spirit of '76" was plastered on just about any pile of junk sold in the departments stores and K-Marts of the day, not to mention on about 50 million t-shirts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Anybody who was alive in 1976 will remember that the phrase "Spirit of '76" was plastered on just about any pile of junk sold in the departments stores and K-Marts of the day, not to mention on about 50 million t-shirts.
TOO TRUE!!!!

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
If memeory serves me well

I remember plain white American cars with a few blue and red pin stripes added along the length of the car making the car a "Spirit of '76' model which translated to an extra grand or two. If you were really lucky the car had a spiffy American flag with a '76 on it plastered on the glove box. Collectors item? I wonder where the sticker was made?

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Actually threw one away...

about 12 years ago, shortly after my wife and I were married, we were clean out her parents garage.

In the back of the garage was a collection of 10 speeds. One of which was white with red and blue stripes. The words Spririt of 76 was on the down tube and eagle and something else on the saddle. It found its way to the land fill the next day. Sadly, it would be cool to have kept it and restored it today.

As the others have said, that was the phrase of the year, so hard to tell if this is the same brand you referenced. As memory serves, nothing special about the frame or components. But then again, 12 years ago I was racing Cat1, so I was quite the bike snob then...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was only five years old in 1976. Now that everyone mentions it, I vaguely remember what you all are talking about. We've only got 70 years until it happens again. I could very well still be around to see it at 105 years old. With future advances in medicine and me taking care of my body, I probably will.

Bri

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Sears

Weren't these bikes sold at Sears department stores all over the country? Or was that another similar brand?

·
when is it obsession?
374 Posts
Free Spirit

Thommy...those clunky old Sears bikes were called "Free Spirit", as I recall... man, were they ghastly

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Now I 'members it Captain Walker

Rthur2sheds said:
Thommy...those clunky old Sears bikes were called "Free Spirit", as I recall... man, were they ghastly
You are correct sir. I just saw one a few days ago. God was it junk. It did take me back to a different time though. When I was growing up the older dudes had Motobecanes, Puegots and Raleighs. All the parts were way over-drilled by the owners for lightness. Those were the days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts