Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,797 Posts
My first set of pedals were Sampsons that used the Sakae cleats. Seeing them again brought back fond memories of a time when my passion for cycling was so strong.

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
I like many things retro.

Cleats ain't one of them.
Hmph! I thought it was awesome having no float at all and grinding my knees down until the heat that was generated would cause me to spontaneously combust. Those were the days! Cyclists nowadays have it too easy....bunch of wusses, all of them! :mad:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I still have my first pair of "real" cycling shoes......some Duegi 101's. Still have the pedals and toe clips, too. I even have the white Binda straps to go with them. What's even harder to find are pedals that are compatible with Look Delta cleats. Sure, I could go with Keo, but I still like the larger Delta.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,148 Posts
I still have my first pair of "real" cycling shoes......some Duegi 101's. Still have the pedals and toe clips, too. I even have the white Binda straps to go with them. What's even harder to find are pedals that are compatible with Look Delta cleats. Sure, I could go with Keo, but I still like the larger Delta.
I hear ya, Grump. My first pair was also Duegi (mine had velcro) with clips and straps. That's why I only like the black (non-floating) delta cleats. I lucked out and bought 4 pairs of black delta cleats at my local velo swap. In my advanced age that should be a life times supply.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Yeller Joisey closed down the store on State Street in Madison a few years back. If you need it he has it, he knows exactly what it's worth. Owner is very knowledgeable and has an extremelt high opinion of himself. That said, I bought a lot of stuff there that was flat out not available anywhere else, at least around here.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Delta cleats are easy to get on Amazon. Delta, or Delta compatible pedals are a different story.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,148 Posts
Delta cleats are easy to get on Amazon. Delta, or Delta compatible pedals are a different story.
Well, I did go the Amazon route once and got burned. The listing was for the black delta cleats. The description said "black non-floating" and the picture Amazon posted was black but when it was delivered Amazon sent me a bunch of red ones. Refund ensued.

At said velo swap I was able to pick up 3 pairs of Dura Ace PD-7401 pedals (albeit heavy, they are the best pedals, EVAR) and a Look Carbon Pro re-branded as Campagnolo (to get my Colnago all Campy).

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
..... What's even harder to find are pedals that are compatible with Look Delta cleats. Sure, I could go with Keo, but I still like the larger Delta.
So do I. There is still a lot of the old, 1st generation Delta pedals out there on EBay for about $10/pair. I have 5 of them, giving me enough parts to keep 2 going on my bikes. Also have a couple pairs of the original Look-made Shimano pedals.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Does anyone still know what a "quill pedal" is?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts