Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you like it? Are you getting or have you gotten your money's worth? There seems to be lot's of free info on the site and the internet in general so why pay? I've never bought an ebook...how does that work? I'm sure the site answers some of these questions but, what's your experience?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I get it free w/ my USA cycling license. It's OK, similar to Bicycling.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Luis50 said:
How do you like it? Are you getting or have you gotten your money's worth? There seems to be lot's of free info on the site and the internet in general so why pay? I've never bought an ebook...how does that work? I'm sure the site answers some of these questions but, what's your experience?
I get their free newsletter.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Their fee newsletter is very good. But that's about as deep as I want to get.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Uh, what?

rellimreeb said:
I get it free w/ my USA cycling license. It's OK, similar to Bicycling.
Roadbikerider.com is a web site and a free e-newsletter. There are two tiers of the web site, and access to the premium tier requires an annual fee of $25+. Are you saying you get access to their premium web site with your USAC license? This is news to me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Roadbikerider.com is a web site and a free e-newsletter. There are two tiers of the web site, and access to the premium tier requires an annual fee of $25+. Are you saying you get access to their premium web site with your USAC license? This is news to me.
I believe he means this...

USA Cycling members receive a FREE digital subscription of Road Bike Action Magazine. Log into your My USA Cycling account to access the FREE download.
If not then let me know too.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Their e-books are good material, priced appropriately. I'd put their training guides up against Friel or any of the usual recommendations people give.

I haven't tried their premium membership. I have been getting their newsletter almost since it launched and it's good info, if a bit short / basic.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used to.. I pulled about everything off their site in about 4 days. Their forum is very slow. Reviews are lacking and not many products. I did not renew mine. I do get their free newsletter. I really like Ed Pavelka and Fred Matheny, but oh well..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll agree that the forum isn't much, but I figure that the $25.00 premium site membership is worth it for the 15% e-book discount, additional articles and content, and also as a means to support the free newsletter. These guys have to eat somehow.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Adjudic8r said:
I'll agree that the forum isn't much, but I figure that the $25.00 premium site membership is worth it for the 15% e-book discount, additional articles and content, and also as a means to support the free newsletter. These guys have to eat somehow.
I agree 100% and have had the premium membership since it was first offered.

I also agree that the forum isn't much, especially since it doesn't have "the Lounge", or "Politics" or the other opportunities to waste a boatload of time (which I do here).

BUT you generally can get a reponse from one of the editors or writers for the newsletter. I value their opinion.

Another nice thing on the e-books is that you can download several free updates when/if they occur.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Considering all the money I spend on cycling products I think the $25 for a premium membership is money well spent. There is a lot of good content and some interesting and valuable insights that I have not found elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
newfield said:
Considering all the money I spend on cycling products I think the $25 for a premium membership is money well spent. There is a lot of good content and some interesting and valuable insights that I have not found elsewhere.
+1.

They are good about responding to questions so I would follow-up with them on any specific products they have reviewed and that you are interested in purchasing.

On a couple of products their responses to my questions revealed a more negative view of the product than was reported. I am not sure why but the followup questions indicated to me that the actual rating should have been lower or the problems should have been explained more. They also don't seem to do updates when they get more information about a product they have reviewed, even if it is negative.

If I had based my decision only on their printed review of a couple of products that I was considering I would have probably purchased. The iBike is a specific example. They mentioned that it sometimes did not work on rough roads. They never got the version they tested to work on the rough roads in their area. When a new version came out I asked them if they had tested it. They had tested it and not gotten it to work on rough roads despite the fix that was supposed to address this problem. They never updated the original review. This is a minor thing and can be dealt with by e-mailing them a question. They give very prompt responses unless they are at Interbike, etc.

Like another reviewed stated, you can get through the website in a few days and might feel that the $25 was only worth spending one-time and immediately decide you are not going to renew. That was my initial reaction. I found that over the course of a year that it was worth it and renewed. I have no idea whether I will review next year. Most of my equipment buying is done so I will have to consider that.

I did order their e-book on High Intensity Training and found that it helped my cycling immensely. It has changed my outlook to the point that I will probably ride indoors on the trainer next winter. Using this training program yielded significant results that are very encouraging even though I only plan to be a recreational cyclist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts