Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Noob
107 Posts
I admit, I'm a junkie. Besides drinking coffee or Red Bull, does anyone use a sports drink that had caffeine added?
I eat cliff shots and shot blocks with caffeine. Definitely gives an extra boost.

I wouldn't rely solely on caffeine to get you through though. Still need some simple carbs and complex carbs in your system.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I admit, I'm a junkie. Besides drinking coffee or Red Bull, does anyone use a sports drink that had caffeine added?
At my mid-ride breaks I always down a 20 oz Coke. Sometimes even 2 12 oz cans. It makes the 2nd half of the ride much more pleasant. 50+ miles on the way home goes faster with Coke. And note: the ONLY time I ingest caffeine is on bike rides. If you're a regular caffeine user then you don't get much benefit as a performance boost.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
FWIW: Most sports drinks, gels and colas don't have much caffeine (~35 mg) compared to a good cup of coffee (100-200mg / 8oz). Red Bull is a bit less than coffee at about 80mg/8oz.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Kind of ditto. The only time I ever drink a regular soft drink is in the middle of a long ride. If the ride is long enough that I have to refuel, it's a 12 or 20 ounce Mountain Dew or Coke and a banana or muffin etc.

At my mid-ride breaks I always down a 20 oz Coke. Sometimes even 2 12 oz cans. It makes the 2nd half of the ride much more pleasant. 50+ miles on the way home goes faster with Coke. And note: the ONLY time I ingest caffeine is on bike rides. If you're a regular caffeine user then you don't get much benefit as a performance boost.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Is it possible to buy caffeine and add it to a mix?
Here's 100 count 200mg caplets for $4.50: Amazon.com: Prolab Caffeine, Maximum Potency, 200 mg, Tablets, 100 tablets: Health & Personal Care

Here's 100gm of pure powder: Amazon.com: NuSci Caffeine Anhydrous Pure Powder 100g (3.52 oz) USP Quality Standard, Energy & Alertness: Health & Personal Care

Not that I'd recommend it, but I've dumped a bottle of 5 hr energy or cheaper off-brand equivalent into a drink. ~200mg of caffeine. There's nodoz lozenges also with 200mg caffeine.

Caffeine can kill you btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.