Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today mean anything?

G

·
Seems like he was really on the rivet today, since hammered it out for all but the last hundred meters or so. Good job to GH for leaving it all out there.

So he just has to repeat this about 20 more times :wink:

· Registered
609 Posts
That was a great ride by George-he's risen to the occasion, I think.

Consider that if it had been Lance riding the prologue into 2nd place, everyone would be saying, "game over, Lance wins the Tour again."

Des

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
The Tour is about not losing time on your rivals.

There are only a few stages that normally make a difference-the mountain top finishes and the time trials.

Today every contender lost time to George. If they want to win they have to make it back somewhere. He OTOH only has to stay even and not let his rivals take any time bonuses and he will win the whole thing.

No other rider can say that today.

· ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be awesome.

MB1 said:
There are only a few stages that normally make a difference-the mountain top finishes and the time trials.

Today every contender lost time to George. If they want to win they have to make it back somewhere. He OTOH only has to stay even and not let his rivals take any time bonuses and he will win the whole thing.

No other rider can say that today.
George definately would be a very deserving person. He has worked very hard, probably forgone an excellent classics career had he went to a different team. I think he should get something very big before his career is done.

· imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
ringroadwarrior said:
George definately would be a very deserving person.

yes, I can't think of a better one...

He has worked very hard,

yes, for the last 17 years....

probably forgone an excellent classics career had he went to a different team.

yup, no doubt about that...

I think he should get something very big before his career is done.

yes, but he is gonna have to earn it, and needs a team that believes in him to do it.....
..i like georgie, i hope that Le Train Bleu gets behind him and blows up the peleton big time, and i think that with Johan and the Train, georgies guns can pull it off...

...i thought that this year was really going to be about Disco vs CSC anyway...Bjarne was going to try Disco tactics, and Jawn didn't have team
behind him anyway (when has he?)...hey, georgies guns are as good as ivans, so why not???

b0nk

· Registered
11,561 Posts
ringroadwarrior said:
today mean anything?
Hincapie has been cracking off respectable prologues and shorter TTs for years now. Stages 10 and 11 will show if he is able to climb with the big dogs, which too date he's never really been able to do. I was doubtful either of those stage would be very meaningful but without T-mobile and CSC motivated to control the race any of the mountain days could see the race blown apart and a free for all (well probably not stage 10 as the final mountain top is a long way from the finish).

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Hincapie has been cracking off respectable prologues and shorter TTs for years now. Stages 10 and 11 will show if he is able to climb with the big dogs, which too date he's never really been able to do. I was doubtful either of those stage would be very meaningful but without T-mobile and CSC motivated to control the race any of the mountain days could see the race blown apart and a free for all (well probably not stage 10 as the final mountain top is a long way from the finish).
In order to win GC, Hincapie would need about 3 min lead time on pretty much everyone else with 4 days to go. Lack of control from Disco/CSC/T-Mobile on early slopes plays to his disadvantage - I can see Hincapie doing some steady climbing, but I am not sure he can respond to surges. The final three days should be very exciting to watch - total free-for-all!

· The Wanderer
536 Posts
ringroadwarrior said:
Does George's good ride today mean anything?
It sure does! Put together with todays points/2 second gain, it means he's in yellow now. Not like that means anything for GC (unlikely Disco will defend the jersey), but at least he can say he was a yellow jersey holder at least once in his life. I'm still not convinced that he is Disco's final choice for GC. I think that he is the favorite (at this point), but if things change before or during the mountains for another rider (Popo, Salvo, etc.), I think they will make a switch and support whoever is the strongest towards the end of the Tour...Or not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.