Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some CO2 cartridges. Just the 12g, unthreaded ones, nothing fancy.

I've heard that Walmart carries them, but has anyone looked for them at Costco (which I prefer to Walmart)?

Target would be another option.

(I'll call Costco to ask, but I often don't have the best luck on the phone, and it would be nice to know before driving out there.)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
If the place sells airgun or paintball equipment then there is a good chance you'll find CO2. Those warehouse stores are very spotty. They will have a pallet of something for months and then not have it again for a year.

Army/Navy or other types of outdoorman stores are another good place to look.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
SkiDiver said:
I need some CO2 cartridges. Just the 12g, unthreaded ones, nothing fancy.

I've heard that Walmart carries them, but has anyone looked for them at Costco (which I prefer to Walmart)?

Target would be another option.

(I'll call Costco to ask, but I often don't have the best luck on the phone, and it would be nice to know before driving out there.)
They're associated with air guns which to my knowledge, Costco does not sell.

Just go to Walmart and make sure to take a nice hot shower afterwards. Use lots of soap.

The other choice (if you have one) is a big sporting goods store that sells guns. We have something called a "Sportsman's Warehouse" here which carries them. More expensive and you're liable to get beat up in that place.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
coyotebike said:
The CO2 units for air/bb guns somtimes have oil to lube the gun and that could harm seals in the CO2 pump.

Internet Myth #129992: Oil in the cartridges will damage the seals in your CO2 inflator.

1st: there are seals in air guns that have to stand up to far higher pressure than that in your cheesy little CO2 pump. If the oil damages them, your very expensive pellet gun becomes an instant POS. As a point of reference, I'm still firing the Crossman CO2 pistol I received in 6th grade (1966.)

2nd: Since your cheesy little CO2 inflator costs all of $9.95, and you save far more than that by buying the first box in bulk, you could throw away the cheesy little inflator when the seals fail and still save a bundle.

3rd: Who says the overpriced CO2 cartridges at the LBS are oil free?

4th: I'm still using the same cheesy little CO2 inflator that I bought 10 years ago and it's not leaked yet.

The whole "oil causes damage" admonition has been floating around here since the days of "Roadies Rejoice" and it's not any truer today than it was then.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Try places like Bass Pro shops or similar places. Any hunting/fishing place will have 'em.

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, that's what I meant

JFR said:
Actually, as I recall, the threaded cartritges ARE the fancy ones. The bulk cartritges for pellet guns are non-threaded. I buy mine at Walmart.
what I need are the unthreaded ones, nothing fancy. guess I'll try Walmart or a sporting goods store.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
my walmart trips are like strategic air strikes. i park near the garden entrance, where i know they have registers and smaller, if any, lines. i know the layout of the store and the quickest way around. the CO2 carts are right near the garden area. the baby diapers and formula are a longer hike, but i walk along the back wall.

careful now, here comes the profiling and over generalizations:
the walmart i go to is in a highly populated hispanic area. i find that goin sunday morning (if i can get there before 10:30) or wednesday evening work best. somethin to do with catholic mass...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.