Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage to getting an Ultegra or Dura Ace crank over an off-brand? My road bike came with all Ultegra components, except the crank is something else.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Depends on who you ask. I happen to like Shimano cranks. My '91 Serotta Colorado's OEM DA crank still spins fine after tens of thousands of miles. I've heard of problems with some others after only a few thousand miles.

So, to answer your question.... IMO, quality.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Truth be known, if it were possible to do a blind ride test of cranks, most couldn't tell the difference....

That being said, I've had the best luck when using a complete group...I seem to get the best shifting that way....Of course it could all be in my mind...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Gossimer, it wasn't really a "mine is bad, I want to upgrade", I'm more curious what the advantages of an Ultegra or DA (or some other "really nice") crank is over some other type of cranks.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
commander_crash said:
It's a Gossimer, it wasn't really a "mine is bad, I want to upgrade", I'm more curious what the advantages of an Ultegra or DA (or some other "really nice") crank is over some other type of cranks.
I ran that crankset for a while and had no problems. I only swapped it out because it was heavy and I wanted to complete the group set on my ride.
The problem with that crank it the BB. The MegaExpo leaves a little to be desired as far as long lasting but thats is it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Lighter, 'prettier', better shifting (real or perceived) and durable. As A from Il mentioned (and I've heard many times before) Gossamer's BB's aren't known for their longevity. But it's not a part that takes others with it when it goes bad, so if you're happy with the crankset, run it through its useful life.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Nothing wrong with FSA cranks on a Shimano drivetrain. I have various FSA cranks on 3 of my road bikes and all have shimano drivetrains and shifters, no problems with shifting, etc. If you want to upgrade, that's fine, but don't think you have to just because you have the FSA crankset.

·
Registered
534 Posts
A from Il said:
I ran that crankset for a while and had no problems. I only swapped it out because it was heavy and I wanted to complete the group set on my ride.
The problem with that crank it the BB. The MegaExpo leaves a little to be desired as far as long lasting but thats is it.
Yep. MegaExo BB is crap. Between the 1-2k mark you will notice noise and it getting loose/play. Nice thing is the Shimano BB works just fine as a replacement and actually lasts. The FSA cranks are a bit more flexy and heavier than reported by FSA, but that won't really affect your performance much.

If you want bling, stop looking for a reason.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do check it for tightness every now and then. My crank arm loosened; I noticed because my FD started not wanting to shift into the big ring and I couldn't seem to get it adjusted right. I took the bike to the LBS and the wrench discovered the loose crank.

Dancer

commander_crash said:

·
Registered
217 Posts
yakky said:
Yep. MegaExo BB is crap. Between the 1-2k mark you will notice noise and it getting loose/play. Nice thing is the Shimano BB works just fine as a replacement and actually lasts.
Yakky is right - I did the same thing - replaced my MegaExo at about 2k with the Shimano BB. The MegaExo was totally shot.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yakky is right - I did the same thing - replaced my MegaExo at about 2k with the Shimano BB. The MegaExo was totally shot.
+10000000000000000000000000

Well, you beat me. I got 3K out of my first, replaced with the ceramic bearing version because "it will last a lot longer;" it didn't. It was shot after 3K too. I quickly became a big Shimano fan and have Dura Ace and Ultegra cranks on all my bikes and couldn't be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.