Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Danielson paces Savodelli up. If Savodelli falters against Gibo, which makes it obvious that Gibo is going to put time into Savodelli and knock him off the podium, do you let Danielson attack and try and knock both off the podium?

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
sbindra said:
Danielson paces Savodelli up. If Savodelli falters against Gibo, which makes it obvious that Gibo is going to put time into Savodelli and knock him off the podium, do you let Danielson attack and try and knock both off the podium?
Ya, totally.......except that Danielson would be lucky to win a race up my driveway right now. That kinda puts a damper on your brilliant armchair DS tactics.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Based on the title, I thought you were going to ask if he was going to go home today or not :)

Attack? He's not even been able to follow up the climbs.
but, but, but. he is LANCE'S HEIR, therefore it is impossible for him to falter, he too can walk on water right? Say it is so.

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Doubters Doubters

It's quite obvious Danielson and Chechu are rotating days on taking care of Salvodelli. Disco is going to stay committed to a non-climber for the rest of the Giro because they promised Savoldelli they would stay commited to him. It may cost them a podium spot but they are sticking to their word. They are not going to allow Danielson or Chechu to have a go at a stage win or take time out of the other teams.

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Not part of the gameplan

mrt10x said:
I wanted Tommy D. to show the doubters,,but it is pretty clear he cant hold the wheel of any of the top contenders right now...
Disco is a tight organization and they stick to their game plan of supporting the GC man and in this case it may be a sinking ship.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont think you are watching the same race as I am. I am a huge Disco fan, and I know that people hate Tommy D because of his association with Lance, but he clearly hasnt figured out how to climb mountains at the end of a long stage.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mrt10x said:
I dont think you are watching the same race as I am. I am a huge Disco fan, and I know that people hate Tommy D because of his association with Lance, but he clearly hasnt figured out how to climb mountains at the end of a long stage.
The commentators on cyclingtv said Danielson was complaining of not feeling good yesterday or the start of today but he did finish with Savoldelli today, so perhaps he did hold back yesterday to support Savoldelli today. But he wasn't with him today until later in the climb, he certainly wasn't with him when he was getting dropped so Savoldelli went backwards to him or Danielson was able to ride into the climb as it progressed.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
mrt10x said:
Sounds more like he's watching the 2005 Tour day Georgia. In the Giro he has been shelled on every climb. If he's supposed to be Lance's heir he needs to petition the estate for the secret medicine kit because the rest of the inheritance isn't helping.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tom D

I don't see much point in Discovery holding on to Salvodeli at this point. he clearly is having problems and will not be able to hang with the leaders. Why would Discovery not want to attempt to get a stage win in the next couple of days? It would be interesting to know what is really going on with Danielson. Is he doing his job and following it to the T? Or is he incapable of delievering performances under pressure? Is the grind of a three week stage race too much for his body to respond to the climbs? Personally I think he does not have the mental make up to be a team leader. The guy is not old, but he should be in the prime of his results right now. I think there is a reason why Discovery does not get behind this guy and allow him to do more, probably because they don't believe in him.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
Here is a direct quote from Johan Bruyneel on the paceline.com, it's a few days old.

Johan said:
Switching to the Giro d'Italia. There's a lot of buzz over here in America wondering when - or if - Tom Danielson will not have to ride in support of Paolo Savoldelli. Do you see that possibility, or is the team all for Paolo?

For the moment Paolo is 3rd and being on the final podium was one of our objectives. We will keep fighting with Paolo as long as we can, primarily because it looks like he has the best chance of being on the podium in Milan (Paolo is 5'30" back on GC while Tom is 8'35").

As for what happens, it's really a matter of communication between the two riders and their directors. I think there's a bit of a misconception in that Tom has not waited for Paolo yet. On Stage 7 both men stayed together and then on Stage 13 Tom came back up to Paolo to work with him.

I'm really satisfied with Tom Danielson's way of riding. Where he is right now is a big step forward and he's definitely a Top 10 contender for the Giro final result. His progression is like we hoped and there's more to come. He's consistent and reading the race very well, and his endurance has also improved. Assuming he finishes the Giro like he's doing now, he will be our team leader this year at the Vuelta Espana and will be on the Tour de France team next year.
To reitirate, Danielson has not been working for Savoldelli, except working together when they have both been dropped off the leading group.

Will the team alter it's strategy and go for stage wins? Only when Paolo is completely out of podium contention...

Silas

·
Registered
450 Posts
So what happened?

sbindra said:
Live updates said Danielson was pacing Il Falco up the last climb today, but the results on Cyclingnews show Rubiera having done the pacing. TD has gone down in flames. If he based his year around the Giro as has been the word all season, I'd say the season has been a serious dissappointment.

I'll admit, I was here saying TD was going to have a great Giro, I even went so far as to predict he was capable of a Top-5. I was seriously wrong.

Too bad he isn't like 4 years younger!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, CyclingNews has Tom D. listed in 75th place at 5:16 down. Rubiera is listed just ahead of Paolo in 15th and 16th respectively at 1:29 down.

Dave

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
DriftlessDB said:
Yes, CyclingNews has Tom D. listed in 75th place at 5:16 down. Rubiera is listed just ahead of Paolo in 15th and 16th respectively at 1:29 down.

Dave
It must have been Rubiera then. For the vast majority of the climb no other Discovery rider was with Savoldelli when they showed the helicopter shots but when they showed him finish it was clear one was with him (in the rain and crap, so not so easy to see). The cyclingtv commentators said it was Rubiera but Italian TV was reporting in the results that it was Danielson (it was such a brief shot I couldn't tell who it was). It must have indeed been Rubiera.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.