Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See title. I am wondering whether my 105 front derailleur would work on a triple, it is a double FD, but I have non indexed bar end shifting on the front, so it might just work, I don't know whether it can work with the total difference in teeth (52-39-30) for now it just does 52-39.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Benoit

· Registered
11,555 Posts
matchmaker said:
See title. I am wondering whether my 105 front derailleur would work on a triple, it is a double FD, but I have non indexed bar end shifting on the front, so it might just work, I don't know whether it can work with the total difference in teeth (52-39-30) for now it just does 52-39.

Has anyone tried this?
I've used double FDs on a triple for one-day hilly events for which I didn't want to buy a triple front derailleur. The double derailleur worked, but shifts sometimes had to be finessed by pedaling under very light or no load and/or upping the cadence where otherwise there would have been no need to do so. My suggestion would be to just try it and see if you can live with it.

On the other hand, given the fact that even super-cheap entry-level models work perfectly fine, why not just get a triple derailleur?

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Places you might see challenges: On some, the cage doesn't extend low enough to allow a 30/12 combo to work. Obviously you oughtn't be doing that anyway, but sometimes stuff happens, right? No good to have things grinding because of a mistake.

Also, the inside plate won't have the 'ramping' that a triple will to help get off the 30. So you'll have the 'sharp' edge of the plate trying to shove on the chain. It can work with finesse - that's the way they were made in the bad old days - but a properly designed one will work under pedaling pressure better, as wim says.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.