Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it bother you when you don't get a bike from the father of cycling (Europe) or the little brother that seems to piss off the father (the U.S) When I buy a bike I want it French, Italian, Spanish, or American, a bike made in Taiwan to me just seems wrong. I can't see why someone would buy a carbon Giant and spend all that money on something crafted in Taiwan. A bike should be like a steed smooth and sleek, but full of muscle for the hustle. A bike should be an extension of yourself, and I just don't respect the ride under me when it's from that part of the world. Japan to me is a different story though, since they have been into bicycles for years and know how to copy and then make it better. After all that is all Japan is really good at, taking something just ok, copying it, and then improving it until it's something along the lines of a plasma tv. Going to Taiwan for a first time bike is a great idea (like I did) if it's cheap, but once you get serious it should be time to step up to tradition. For me I just have to take some pride where my bike was crafted.
 

· Martini time?
Joined
·
208 Posts
The Taiwanese are great frame builders and do an excellent job, problem is they got too good at it and now the companies are going to China for cheap frames. I think of Taiwan=democracy and China=communist, I try not to buy Chinese stuff as much as possible.
 

· Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Just personally, I don't care what language my steed speaks. . .Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, French, Italian, German. . .as long as it is very well built and fits me great. Besides, with so many carbon bikes going Taiwan it is becoming harder and harder to find something that costs less than 5000.00 bucks complete that is still nonTaiwan carbon framed. I guess they may be out there, but I'm also guessing they will quietly disappear.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
Does it bother you when you don't get a bike from the father of cycling (Europe) or the little brother that seems to piss off the father (the U.S) When I buy a bike I want it French, Italian, Spanish, or American, a bike made in Taiwan to me just seems wrong. I can't see why someone would buy a carbon Giant and spend all that money on something crafted in Taiwan. A bike should be like a steed smooth and sleek, but full of muscle for the hustle. A bike should be an extension of yourself, and I just don't respect the ride under me when it's from that part of the world. Japan to me is a different story though, since they have been into bicycles for years and know how to copy and then make it better. After all that is all Japan is really good at, taking something just ok, copying it, and then improving it until it's something along the lines of a plasma tv. Going to Taiwan for a first time bike is a great idea (like I did) if it's cheap, but once you get serious it should be time to step up to tradition. For me I just have to take some pride where my bike was crafted.
It used to, and then I rode a Giant. Not too long ago, people said the same thing about American frames.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
6,492 Posts
don't care as long as it works, but I can't call it a 'steed'

Makes no difference to me as long as it does what I need it to, though I wouldn't buy anything unless I knew the conditions under which the builders worked. But I have to say I'd be really, really embarrassed to call a bicycle a "steed."
 

· Charismatic Megafauna
Joined
·
547 Posts
LOL! Was just thinking about that.

Cory said:
Makes no difference to me as long as it does what I need it to, though I wouldn't buy anything unless I knew the conditions under which the builders worked. But I have to say I'd be really, really embarrassed to call a bicycle a "steed."
Not sure why, but that term just works my nerves. :) Maybe it conjures up unpleasant memories of the local Renaissance Faire -- like you oughta be riding around with a giant turkey leg or something. And Meeeeeeeeade in your water bottles....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tradition folks

I take it you guys who don't care about where it's from also own Korean cars. We aren't talking crap like T.Vs we're talking about bicycles. But what do I know I wear shoes made in the U.S. and wear a swiss watch?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not a steed?

She is fast and handles well, granted your the muscle but who cares? In life there are some things to take pride in your athletic ability and intelligence. One must be strong like ox and sharp like tack. In the case of the bike it lets you display some ability and so pride should be taken. Not to mention the better the bike you own often tells how smart you are because otherwise you wouldn't be able to earn the cash for it (unless your in college and broke like me).
 

· Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I take it you guys who don't care about where it's from also own Korean cars. We aren't talking crap like T.Vs we're talking about bicycles. But what do I know I wear shoes made in the U.S. and wear a swiss watch?
If the Korean car is cheaper and as reliable as its American, Japanese, German, or Swedish counterparts, then I would buy it. However, if I believe the Korean car to be an unreliable POS, then I wouldn't buy it. Incidentally, I don't much care for the design of most of the automobiles coming out of Detroit these days. When dealing with similar products, value is my #1 priority when I make any purchase whether the products are cars, bicycles, or ramen noodles. Sorry, but that's just how I roll. I'm not buying things as status symbols. You can have your Swiss watch. I'll stick with my Timex Ironman. Welcome to the global economy, Sport.
 

· Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
She is fast and handles well, granted your the muscle but who cares? In life there are some things to take pride in your athletic ability and intelligence. One must be strong like ox and sharp like tack. In the case of the bike it lets you display some ability and so pride should be taken. Not to mention the better the bike you own often tells how smart you are because otherwise you wouldn't be able to earn the cash for it (unless your in college and broke like me).
What ability does the expensive bike allow a person to display? How many times have you been told on this board that just because you ride an expensive bike doesn't inherently mean that you're a skilled rider? I ride a mid-1980s heavier-than-hell steel Fuji Ace, and many of my fellow club riders have bikes that are far more expensive than mine and a hell of a lot lighter but ride like they should still be using training wheels. I'm not saying they can't have the nice bikes because their riding skills don't match. If my fellow clubbers can reasonably afford the nice bikes, then God bless them, they're good for the bike industry and the economy as a whole, but I'm not going to be crapping my shorts in the parking lot before my next club ride just because everyone else shows up on Colnago C-40s w/ full Campy Record.
 

· Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
She is fast and handles well, granted your the muscle but who cares? In life there are some things to take pride in your athletic ability and intelligence. One must be strong like ox and sharp like tack. In the case of the bike it lets you display some ability and so pride should be taken. Not to mention the better the bike you own often tells how smart you are because otherwise you wouldn't be able to earn the cash for it (unless your in college and broke like me).
Actually, it can cut both ways. The better bike you own might also suggest how stupid you are if you can't make your mortgage payment because you just had to have that $8000 "steed" to impress your fellow club members. By the same token, how smart are the folks who spend all their dough "pimpin' their ride" but can't scrape together a few extra bucks to fill up the gas tank?
 

· Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
No kidding! I don't care what equipment other people have on a ride. I love the guy who shows up to the club ride in his canvas shoes and denim shorts. He knows other riders have more cycling-specific equipment, and he doesn't care. He rides, he has a blast, and I respect the hell out of him for it! Personally, after wearing cycling shorts, I could never go back to something without a chamois, but I don't look down on those who don't wear cycling shorts. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to "keep up with the Joneses."
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Wow. I didn't know that so much could be learned just be analyzing what kind of bike someone rides.

I think the thing that everyone has learned with this thread is that there is a lot of BS that people spew or claim we should invest in our bikes 'cuz of where they were made or who made them. What a steamy pile of kack that idea is.

Oh, and to the OP: it doesn't bother me one single bit where any bike comes from. Nope.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Come on everyone... I think when MOST people refer to wanting an Italian bike, its not to impress the club riders, but rather because they want to. All of you who ***** and moan about people who don't think there is any difference between a tiawan or chinese frame and a us/euro frame are just as bad. To many, cycling is a hobby. Hobbies are interests that you drop money on. Any of you computer geeks? How much would you spend for the latest video card? And to say that there is no difference between the different frames is IMO, false. For example, the 06 trek 5000 carbon frame is tiawanese, while the older 5000 frame was Wisconsin made. Ride both and tell me you can't feel a difference. I know people have said all of this before, but it seems so stupid to hear people complaining about other riders with expensive bikes... Are we jealous?

GO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!
 

· Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
Believe me, I'm not jealous of someone because he or she bought an expensive bike, but I do laugh at them if the person thinks that bike is automatically going to transform them into a cycling god or goddess. As I said before, if a person can reasonably afford that bike, then God bless him or her. However, the OP's suggestion that I somehow have a responsibility to both myself and the sport of cycling to make my next bicycle purchase an American or European built rig is ludicrous. For me, the act of riding is the hobby - not the ownership of an American or European bike. Just give me something reliable to ride, and I'll take care of the rest.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,853 Posts
Have you ever been in a bicycle factory.

I have been in and worked in quite a few.

Great stuff at great values comes out of the Orient.

If money was an issue for me I would always choose a bike out of China or Taiwan first.

For quality I would take an American or Japanese frame.

There are very few European frames that meet my standards and almost all of those that do are English.

YMOV
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
Does it bother you when you don't get a bike from the father of cycling (Europe) or the little brother that seems to piss off the father (the U.S) When I buy a bike I want it French, Italian, Spanish, or American, a bike made in Taiwan to me just seems wrong. I can't see why someone would buy a carbon Giant and spend all that money on something crafted in Taiwan. A bike should be like a steed smooth and sleek, but full of muscle for the hustle. A bike should be an extension of yourself, and I just don't respect the ride under me when it's from that part of the world. Japan to me is a different story though, since they have been into bicycles for years and know how to copy and then make it better. After all that is all Japan is really good at, taking something just ok, copying it, and then improving it until it's something along the lines of a plasma tv. Going to Taiwan for a first time bike is a great idea (like I did) if it's cheap, but once you get serious it should be time to step up to tradition. For me I just have to take some pride where my bike was crafted.
So why do you ride a Fuji?
 

· eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
I could honestly care less. If it's appealing to my eye, I'm going to buy it regardless of country of origin.

The Chinese have great names for bicycles - jiao ta che - foot pushed vehicle and zi xing che vehicle done by oneself. How can anyone possibly think bikes made by people who think that way don't have soul?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top