Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered what pro teams do with all their stuff if they get new kits, new sponsors, etc. This happens every year. Just think of the countless helmets, shoes, glasses, bikes, everthing, that just isn't used anymore. Do they sell it? donate it? I mean, I'll take it, if you guys don't want it.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Bikes generally get sold off, as does unused kit. Used kit stays with the rider.

A while ago my boss bought the old TVM team's surplus kit plus their TT helmets complete with names written inside in marker pen!

I got Servais Knaven's Dutch National Championship jersey for next to nothing.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Get to know your local reps of the bike manufacturer. They usually can get unused TT bikes, 4th trainers, etc. Look on EBay, Petacchi's training bike is there.

I bet you could get a hardly used Colnago TT bike from Rabobank with Rasmussen's name on the top tube.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
At Rabobank last year's bikes normally are this year's spare bikes, after that they become training bikes. Other teams just sell them after one year, some teams bikes are returned to the sponsor after use. Lots of stuff gets chucked, remember pros are harsh on material: some go through 3 saddles during the TdF alone.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Look for the big bike swaps around you. The one here in Charlotte is at Lowe's Speedway. Last year HealthNet, Jittery Joes, and Victory Brewing were there selling off everything. Navigators was there two years ago.

Your local reps for the companies can't get anything, as all of the equipment is owned by the teams.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
A keen eye can find pro stuff on Ebay just about anyday of the week. I've bought stuff from Dave Zabriskie, Michael Barry, Mike Creed, Danny Pate, Christian Vende Velde, Chris Horner, and others. Navigators is a staple at Veloswap selling their bikes, clothes, etc.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Julich

Bobby Julich's a Reno local. He teamed up with a local bike shop to sell off a bunch of old stuff earlier this year. The proceeds went to Katrina relief. Most of his stuff was too small for me but I picked up some armwarmers and a CSC cap at $5/apiece. My co-worker got a complete CSC kit for $50. What was interesting is that the clothes were all standard items you could buy BUT the labels on the inside all were stamped with Julich's name on them...

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
I hand my hands on a Cofidis Wilier with Tombak's name on it. Another shop owner here rides Rebellin's Wilier. I guess it pays to know the reps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts