Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tread doesn't affect performance, but it seems like the Vittoria Rubinos have directional tread...Which way are they designed to go?
In the catalog, each tread pattern is displayed next to the tire description...so which part goes toward the ground? Top or bottom?

and yeah...the question in my title...
does it matter which side the lever on the wheel goes?
Is there a conventional method?
Do they both have to go on the same side?

thanks

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
If there is no arrow pointing the tire direction, the tradition is to put the label on the drive side of the bike. One further is to put the label at the stem.

The levers go on the non drive side of the bike. This is more tradition than anything else as well.

-Eric

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Put on same side as rear.

Looks better, and the lever is easier to find in an emergency=)

Some riders stick the front wheel in backwards, with the quick release skewer on the opposite side from the rear. This often causes one brake pad to rub on the rim, as rims aren't always precisely centered!

As far as tread, the manufacturers always label tires on the right side, the drive train side of the bike. If you mount the tires with the label on the right side, that will ensure the tread is in the right pattern, if it's directional. Notice how all new bikes come that way, with the labels right above the valve stems?

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The lever on the rear wheel usually only fits one way. There is no rule for the front wheel, but most people put both levers on the same side. If you install a wheel magnet for a computer, you'll need to choose which side the lever goes on, because the computer is only going to work one way.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
my friend, rubinos have an arrow on the sidewall to tell you the direction of rotation !! its pretty closely behind the label...

tread ends up looking like this, viewed above and in front of the bike's front wheel: rear is the same...
\_/
\_/
\_/
\_/

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Always?

Fredrico said:
As far as tread, the manufacturers always label tires on the right side, the drive train side of the bike.
Gee, that's funny, because Continental puts labels on both sides. Plus, those labels are of roughly equal size so there's no obvious left or right. Beyond that, for standard road tires (not deep tread or CX) there's no point in tread patterns anyway. To suggest that it makes a difference (marked rotation direction or not) is quite a stretch.

·
Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
It's obvious, northern hemisphere lever on the left (nds), southern hemisphere lever on the right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.