Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, Heinz Chili Sauce. I am about to have the first hamburger I have had in maybe a dozen years and the only bottle of red stuff I have is of indeterminate age. It might have been bought to slather on some hot dogs, but I'm not sure. It's been refrigerated all this time and I cleaned all the hardened ketchup-snot out of the neck of the bottle.

I don't want to die today, and I don't want to end up as though I'd eaten a Daffodil bulb.

·
Super Moderator
40,807 Posts
terry b said:
More specifically, Heinz Chili Sauce. I am about to have the first hamburger I have had in maybe a dozen years and the only bottle of red stuff I have is of indeterminate age. It might have been bought to slather on some hot dogs, but I'm not sure. It's been refrigerated all this time and I cleaned all the hardened ketchup-snot out of the neck of the bottle.

I don't want to die today, and I don't want to end up as though I'd eaten a Daffodil bulb.
Not really. The sugar content, and the refrigeration, have kept the nasty bacteria more or less at bay. The flavor may have suffered after a dozen years, so splurge, and get yourself some Heinz made in this century.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Not really...

Ketchup and most hot sauces have enough vinegar that they do not really spoil. It CAN mold if you don't seal / fridge it.

Mustard will outlast us all...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
well?????????

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Touch0Gray said:
well?????????
I'm still here, so I guess they don't bother dating it for a reason.

Add this finding to the Vault of Lounge Lore - Heinz Chili Sauce does not go bad, at least within the timeframe of my ability to remember when I bought it.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
The only thing i use ketchup on is french fries.....a couple of times a year...Burgers get mustard, pickled jalapeños and a slab of REAL tomato if it is available.

Glad you lived through this horrible ordeal...the not knowing must have been nerve wracking....

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Touch0Gray said:
Glad you lived through this horrible ordeal...the not knowing must have been nerve wracking....
Have you ever sat in a quiet room and just watched the seconds tick by?

That's what it was like waiting to find out.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
terry b said:
Have you ever sat in a quiet room and just watched the seconds tick by?

That's what it was like waiting to find out.
That's kind of what I am doing now....it's cild and windy and gray and I'm home all alone, I don't have the parts I need to work on the new buld and I am bored out of my fricking skull. I guess I could rummage through the fridge, testing for spoilage.....hmmmmmmmmm wonder if this is chicken or.............uh...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
or should I say WAS

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
UM... it definitely CAN go bad.

Look for lots of little bubbles in it about the same size. It can actually ferment, and develop its own carbonation.

I unfortunately found this out at a restaurant in Jefferson City, Missouri.

They brought me two separate sealed bottles that had the exact same problem.

Unfortunately I tasted the first and the taste was not necessarily bad, but it had a slight fizzy tingle that I could tell was not quite right.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
funknuggets said:
UM... it definitely CAN go bad.

Look for lots of little bubbles in it about the same size. It can actually ferment, and develop its own carbonation.

I unfortunately found this out at a restaurant in Jefferson City, Missouri.

They brought me two separate sealed bottles that had the exact same problem.

Unfortunately I tasted the first and the taste was not necessarily bad, but it had a slight fizzy tingle that I could tell was not quite right.
That might have been the meth mixed into the food.

·
Registered
738 Posts
"When in doubt, throw it out" I'd rather eat a nekkid hot dog then risk getting sick, hit the can with that aged bottle! On the other hand, you're just putting a little on a hot dog so it probably won't make you deathly ill...maybe just a day or two of puking and hershy squirts!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
No, but catsup does, so be sure to read your labels.

joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts