Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter what mileage is on a bike? Will a good carbon frame break down with mileage? What about wheels and components? Curious in that I'm thinking of buying a USED bike but have never done so before. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
sure...

Sure mileage matters. If a frame was never ridden, it would last nearly forever. Most often, a failure will be at some bonded joint or other high stress area. Mileage doesn't tell the whole story though. Someone like me, who weighs 135 or less, riding on smooth roads won't put as much stress on the frame as a 200 lb. rider who hits potholes regularly.

I've sold CF frames that I'd ridden 8,000 miles and they still looked like new. I've got nearly that many on my current LOOK 585 and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

I've never bought a used frame myself. Too many horror stories about frames that have " a few nicks" arriving all beat up. I might by one if it was a 2008 model that somebody bought and found it was the wrong size after a few rides.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
I've got a used Colnago Super from the 70s- it's probably 30 years old and it still rides like a dream.

The components are all similarly old- vintage Nuovo Record, all used. They look like they've got another 30-40 thousand miles on them before they fail...

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
With carbon frames, it's not the mileage / use that matters so much as time and exposure to the abuses of life. And of course, that every cf frame has a ticking clock until the day it spontaneously shatters into a million tiny shards of high velocity shrapnel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.