Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6' 4" with long legs and arms for my hight. Im thinking of buying a road bike or a folding bike. also i havent been on a bike in 20+ years. Is it hard to ride a bike after being off a bike that long? I use to ride a 12 speed bike all over the place till i got a car.

also im about 210 lbs.

thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Does your height matter? Absolutely

Is it a problem? No

There are bikes out there for folks bigger than you. It is likely that you wont find a bike on the floor of a shop that will fit you but that is no worry as any decent bike store (and a lot of bad ones) will be able to order a bike for you.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
6,492 Posts
Riding is easy, Finding a bike may be harder.

I'm sure you'll just get on and ride away, and in half an hour you'll wonder why you ever quit riding.
Finding a bike that really fits, as somebody else said, may be a little tricky. I'm your height, and for years I rode 60 or 62cm bikes because that's the largest size most shops carry. Finally, about five years ago, I bought a 64cm (about 25 inches, if you're used to thinking in American terms), and the difference was huge. I'd really advise you to keep looking until you can at least try a bike that measures 64 to 66cm from the bottom bracket (the "spindle" that holds the crankarms) to the top of the top tube (the one that runs from the seat forward to the handlebars).
If the shops where you live are like those here, they may try to put you on a smaller frame, maybe 62cm, with a promise that they'll install a longer seat post. That will allow you to extend your legs, but it may move the seat up so you have to reach down to the handlebars, which won't be comfortable at first and may never be. Then you have to start swapping stems and one thing and another, and it's just more trouble than it's worth. I'm not kidding--the very first time out on my new Atlantis, I was more comfortable than I'd ever been on a 62cm bike I'd ridden more than 12,000 miles and really liked..
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cory said:
I'm sure you'll just get on and ride away, and in half an hour you'll wonder why you ever quit riding.
Finding a bike that really fits, as somebody else said, may be a little tricky. I'm your height, and for years I rode 60 or 62cm bikes because that's the largest size most shops carry. Finally, about five years ago, I bought a 64cm (about 25 inches, if you're used to thinking in American terms), and the difference was huge. I'd really advise you to keep looking until you can at least try a bike that measures 64 to 66cm from the bottom bracket (the "spindle" that holds the crankarms) to the top of the top tube (the one that runs from the seat forward to the handlebars).
If the shops where you live are like those here, they may try to put you on a smaller frame, maybe 62cm, with a promise that they'll install a longer seat post. That will allow you to extend your legs, but it may move the seat up so you have to reach down to the handlebars, which won't be comfortable at first and may never be. Then you have to start swapping stems and one thing and another, and it's just more trouble than it's worth. I'm not kidding--the very first time out on my new Atlantis, I was more comfortable than I'd ever been on a 62cm bike I'd ridden more than 12,000 miles and really liked..
Thanks, They do have a trek store about 10 miles from me. But dont want to spend alot of money for a trek. I might go to walmart and buy one cheap road bike.
 

· Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
41,516 Posts
tootal2 said:
Thanks, They do have a trek store about 10 miles from me. But dont want to spend alot of money for a trek. I might go to walmart and buy one cheap road bike.
I'm guessing you will NEVER find one that fits at wally world...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Touch0Gray said:
I'm guessing you will NEVER find one that fits at wally world...
I think im going to buy a Dahon Espresso with the large frame. Dahon website says it handle people up to 6' 4" It looks well made. But i have no way of test driving it. I live in a condo so a folding bike wont take up much space.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top