Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Kenda Caliente Pro's on a set of rims I bought off the classified board on here. I do not know the mileage of them, but they do not appear to be really worn. The rear tire has a few (I found 4 so far) very small nicks about 1/8" long. They cannot be seen from the inside of the tire. Two are on the center tread, two are closer to the apex of the sidewall. Does this warrant replacement of the tire, or is this normal? BTW, I am 6'6", 225 lbs, and ride in a lot of rolling hills.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg Smalter said:
I wouldn't worry about the cuts. If the tire is squared-off and you can see threads, then you should replace it.
Nope. Perfectly round, just like the front.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Cut repair

Pharmer said:
I have a pair of Kenda Caliente Pro's on a set of rims I bought off the classified board on here. I do not know the mileage of them, but they do not appear to be really worn. The rear tire has a few (I found 4 so far) very small nicks about 1/8" long. They cannot be seen from the inside of the tire. Two are on the center tread, two are closer to the apex of the sidewall. Does this warrant replacement of the tire, or is this normal? BTW, I am 6'6", 225 lbs, and ride in a lot of rolling hills.
Some people use ShoeGoo or super glue to fix cuts. If there is no damage to the casing, the cuts are probably not an issue.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
If you're concerned, carry a tire boot or two with you just in case. Otherwise, ride them until the threads start showing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upon further inspection, I found a couple other cuts that are pretty bad, so I'd say it is done. My options are: Run the front, and use the front Maxxis Fuse from my old set on the rear to use these two tires up, or buy new ones.

Performance has a good deal for another 30 minutes on tires. I am looking at the Panaracer Stradius Pro, Forte Pro DC, Forte Pro +, and Hutchinson Fusion 3. They have all of them pretty cheap. I'm also considering holding off and picking up a set of Conti GP4000's at my LBS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts