Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Optygen and OCtane

paa said:
Does anyone use this supplement? If so, any significant improvement and is it worth the $50 price tag? Any other recommendations? ---paa
I believe that Optygen DOES work based on my experience using it for 4 months last season. In several races, while on optygen, I noticed that I could sustain heart rates well beyond my tested lacated theshold, which is 182 bpm. I spent 35 minutes in a break away with my heart rate pegged at 189. I know that a difference of 7 beats does not sound like that much, but pre Optygen, I could go about 4 minutes above 182 without having to back off. 35 minutes at 187 suprised the heck out of me. Also, the high point of the season came when I spent just under 3 minutes at 196. My max is 198. I know that hydration, temperature, recovery, and sleep quality all affect heart rate, but staying at so high a heart rate for so long suggests something more powerful than placebo effect or the aforementioned variables.

I should note that I was combining Optygen with Athlete Octane, a supplement that is magic in a bottle. Check this stuff out; it is affordable and you use it everyday:
http://www.athleteoctane.com/

I'd recommend only using Optygen for a few key months a year to peak for your most important events. It helped me achieve all but one of my season goals. And my 20km averge TT speed went from 27.4 mph to 28.3 mph in one year's time on the same course, in the similar conditions. I did my on the bike homework last season, but still that is a big increase in averge speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deals?

Thanks for your feedback. As a matter of fact, I have three targeted peak dates this season. The first being a 4 day stage race which includes a 9 mile uphill time trial, RR, crit, and a circuit slated for March 18-21. I'm registered to do two crits in the next month leading up it. The other two peak dates are later in the season...one in May, another stage race. And then our club sponsored race in July. Also, this is my first season in cat 4.

Do you know of any deals online? Perhaps some free samples? I'd actually like to try it for my first race next Sunday...a 1.8 mile 7 turn 45 minute crit. I feel that my form is higher than at this time last year. It sounds like the althlete's octane is the real deal as well. But I'm not one to get into excessive pills or supplements. But if Optygen works as you have attested, I definitely will give it a try. It did wonders for your VO2 max and lactate threashold.---paa

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Another thing to try....

is HMB. EAS puts this one out and I think has a patent on it. I found this stuff to really work in enabling me to work at a higher HR for longer than I could without it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
eh?

High Gear said:
is HMB. EAS puts this one out and I think has a patent on it. I found this stuff to really work in enabling me to work at a higher HR for longer than I could without it.
as I recall from my weight-training days, HMB is anticatabolic (retards muscle breakdown). it shouldn't do anything to your heart-rate directly.
cyclists do break down a lot of muscle, though.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
weiwentg said:
as I recall from my weight-training days, HMB is anticatabolic (retards muscle breakdown). it shouldn't do anything to your heart-rate directly.
cyclists do break down a lot of muscle, though.
my 2c...don't waste your $. Most supplements either don't work or work so little as to not be worth the $.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
The anecdote vs. actual proof

This is a classic case of "I'm taking this/doing this and am faster, so it must be what I'm taking/doing that's making me faster." There is NO scientific evidence to support that your supplement caused your improvement. There is no valid data to support that Optygen can improve anyone's performance. In fact, there is plenty of scientific evidence that legal supplements offer no benefits over a proper diet of food. Supplement fads come in waves, but you look around two years later and the product is no longer on the market.

It's great that you performance improved, but don't kid yourself that it was something you bought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
While I concede that anecdotal observations do not qualify as repeatable scientific studies, I know the difference I personally experienced on and off of the stuff. Check out some of the studies on Cordyceps, the main component of Optygen. There are European studies that support its efficacy. Of course, America Science must repeat studies done elsewhere before our community embraces the results.

And science aside, after seven years experience (not necessarily that much time, but enough to observe patterns in my own performance), and given that this is my lived-experience that I'm talking about and not yours, I think that I know my body better than you do, and am in a better position to evaluate the usefulness of a supplement that has been in my body.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
My experience with Athlete octane? I can't say that it definately helped my performance, but it did seem to aid in recovery, and that's important to me at 44 yrs and counting.......

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Bocephus Jones said:
my 2c...don't waste your $. Most supplements either don't work or work so little as to not be worth the $.
I'm with Bocephus. I haven't tried Optygen, but I tried lots of ther supplements and never noticed any difference except a lightened wallet.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Water worked for me.

I did this one race once, without water, and did terribly.

A month later, I did it again (it is a training series) and decided to use water. My performance improved dramatically! I will now use water at all races and I eagerly sell the concept to all I meet.

Get real you guys. Train hard. Eat real food, live a balanced life.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
So, is it self belief or actual result?

You state that your results are unequivocably due to the supplement, which you can't support with backup science. You highly recommend the product because "it worked for you" even though the science does not support this. You fix on your tested max, but then you admit there are many factors. End of the day, you're completely willing to push this product even though your conclusion can't be supported by actual data. The scientific method requires that you test a hypothosis with actual research, not that you make claims based on one-off "experiential results." My point is that your pushing this product is not based on supportable data. Over the centuries, many people have been just as certain as you are now, only to have their unsupported theories destroyed by data. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." You've made the claims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kerry,
I understand that you are a self important, small-minded person with a limited abiltiy to see beyond your own unwavering certainty in yourself and your world view. I mean hey, you're Kerry Irons, RBR Forum Wizard, the sole arbiter of objective truth, a man who must have the last word in any discussion. Further, your low self-esteem seems to require you to build yourself up by attempting to best me as you befuddledly conflate my mention of my own experience AND my separate mention of controled, Asian and European Cordyceps studies. Are personal experiences scientific? No, or course not. Did I say they were? No, again. Are studies which embrace the double-blind, controlled, placebo method scientific even when conducted overseas, away from Kerry's approving gaze? Yes, unless you're a xenophobe, apparently.

If being the biggest blow-hard on this forum makes your plebian existence better, then more power to you. The last time I checked, this whole thread asked if any one believed that Optygen worked. I replied. You then condescended directly to me. Let it go man; I promise not to post on KerryBikeReview forum ever again. This way you can keep what is obviously the only outlet in your life where you can pretend to matter.

P.S. I don't believe you've done your homework when, in your haste to win the day, you claim, "There are no controlled studies" Check "Cordyceps," an ingredient in optygen, not optygen itself. Use that pea-like brain of yours little man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do scientific studies support this???

Spunout said:
I did this one race once, without water, and did terribly.

A month later, I did it again (it is a training series) and decided to use water. My performance improved dramatically! I will now use water at all races and I eagerly sell the concept to all I meet.

Get real you guys. Train hard. Eat real food, live a balanced life.
Thanks Spunout. That made my day. Sign me up for a bottle or two of that H2O stuff. Can beer be used for placebo effect? What about my H2O max output?

I'm with you guys on this one. The supplements may work but it seems foolish to look at studies quantifying x% improvement in performance with so many factors involved. Eating right and training smart is probably the best way to go for non-elite types (e.g. Cat 2 or lower). If you feel that supplements improve your performance more power to you (and the people marketing this stuff).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Allow me to expand on my earlier post. I took Optygen for two months. During those two months I got faster and stronger. Was it the Optygen? NO! I got faster and stronger because I was riding more miles and I was utilizing a sound training program.

How do I know it wasn't the Optygen working? Because when I stopped taking the Optygen I didn't lose anything. In fact I continued to improve even without the Optygen. This product did nothing for my performance, it did not increase my VO2 max and it didn't increase my endurance. It simply didn't work.

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
The only stuff I found to work is Cytomax and the like- which helps because I sweat alot and its pretty salty, so cramps become an issue.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
My goodness me!

No venom in your post!

At any rate, a PubMed search pulled up 195 studies on this active, and NOT ONE showed the impact of cordyceps on human performance. Finding roughly 20 more studies via another source gave the same result. The one study that used the words cordyceps and human performance together noted that there were no studies on cordyceps and human performance. Rat, mouse, etc. studies are not revealing. There are way to many studies showing a suggestive effect in lab animals that have no meaning in human performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.