Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Polar fixes broken Power Meters, because I broke my cord and speed sensor and Polar fixed them both times. The cord was fixed under warranty, and the speed sensor replaced for $25.

The problem is I bought a Power Output Kit from ebay (no warranty) and I just finished installing and calibrating it. The power readings were too high! My first run and the results are

HR avg 132 Speed avg 12.9 mph Power avg 214 watts
Max Speed 22.0 mph Max Power 390

This is on a 51cm Cervelo Soloist Team with HED 3 wheels!
My parameters:
chain weight 248.3 g
chain length 1324
span length 399

I measured the chain weight with an Ohaus scale and calibrated weights.

On my Kestrel Talon with a power meter a 217 W avg gave me an avg speed of 19.8 mph.

Has anybody ever sent in to Polar an working power meter that was fixed for inaccuracy? What did Polar replace and how much was charged?

I have 4 Polar Power kits (3 from ebay).

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
JTE83 said:
I know Polar fixes broken Power Meters, because I broke my cord and speed sensor and Polar fixed them both times. The cord was fixed under warranty, and the speed sensor replaced for $25.

The problem is I bought a Power Output Kit from ebay (no warranty) and I just finished installing and calibrating it. The power readings were too high! My first run and the results are

HR avg 132 Speed avg 12.9 mph Power avg 214 watts
Max Speed 22.0 mph Max Power 390

This is on a 51cm Cervelo Soloist Team with HED 3 wheels!
My parameters:
chain weight 248.3 g
chain length 1324
span length 399

I measured the chain weight with an Ohaus scale and calibrated weights.

On my Kestrel Talon with a power meter a 217 W avg gave me an avg speed of 19.8 mph.

Has anybody ever sent in to Polar an working power meter that was fixed for inaccuracy? What did Polar replace and how much was charged?

I have 4 Polar Power kits (3 from ebay).
How do you know it's wrong? Are you just assuming it is?

Is this the EXACT same route?

Is the speed sensor wrong, this time or last?

Your aeroish bike and hed wheels are going to save like 10watts, if that, btw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FTF said:
How do you know it's wrong? Are you just assuming it is?

Is this the EXACT same route? I don't have to ride the exact same routes; all my routes are flat roads.

Is the speed sensor wrong, this time or last?

Your aeroish bike and hed wheels are going to save like 10watts, if that, btw.
It's wrong because it didn't give comparable results to my other 2 good power meters on my Giant Tcr Aero 2 and Kestrel Talon. I've used Polar Power kits for 2.5 years and have lots of good data to compare to.

I just got this kit and it didn't have a broken speed sensor. Speed readings were correct on my 1st test ride - the power was just too high.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.