Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done on my first fully fixed ride (just built up the bike yesterday). About a 12 miler and I am SPENT! I came home and just for comparison, went for a cruise on my geared roadie and man, I felt like I was flying! Everything seemed so effortless. Made me love that fixed gear bike even more and also appreciate the roadie. Maybe "appreciate" isn't the correct term, but I think you all know what I'm saying. Now having ridden both, I don't think I could do without one or the other.

Looking forward to many more miles on the fixed and even faster/easier miles on the roadie. :D

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
It probably depends on what you want to do with your bike, but once I started riding FG, I haven't gone back to the road bike. If you are into hills and racing, that's one thing. I haven't been on my road bike in a long time. Once you get hooked on FG, you don't want to coast and you enjoy spinning along, smooth and quiet. I think you still 'appreciate' a good road bike, but you get 'hooked'. It's a 'good' disease!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My geared bike is usually dusty and has nearly flat tires since I also got completely hooked on fixed riding a few years back....though on the rare occasions that I do ride it am reminded that it is a REALLY nice bike....gonna ride it more this year as my hill climbing has definitely deteriorated since the switch

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
For me it isn't a case of one "or" the other. It's one "and" the other.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ukiahb said:
...my hill climbing has definitely deteriorated since the switch
wow. riding fixed has without a doubt produced the single biggest improvement to my climbing of anything else i've ever done. and i see that claim repeated a lot. i'm not sure what you're doing, but something ain't right.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Depends.

On a group ride, I appreciate the gears again. If you've ever attempted to hang with a fast geared group ride on a fixed, you know exactly what I mean.

But with solitary rides, I've always felt like a wimp going back to gears. I've never made friends with the idea of "spinning up a hill" (why not just walk?) and don't mind having my hip- and knee joints subjected to insane inertial forces during a 160+ rpm fixed downhill. Well, make that a short 160+rpm fixed downhill. :)

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
not all, but

BianchiJoe said:
Actually, rding fixed/SS made me sell all of my geared bikes. I'll never shift again!
Sold my 12 pound 2007 Bianchi 928 SL with Campy Record carbon and Zipp 303 tubulars to buy a steel fixie with vintage Campy components. Not ready to sell all the shifter bikes, but they are collecting dust.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
It's usually, though not always, the other way around. Riding geared usually makes me miss riding fixed, though in some rides I need geared to keep up with the other riders. I have to admit, though, it is sometimes very, very fun to coast down a long hill at speed...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
bombing

PdxMark said:
It's usually, though not always, the other way around. Riding geared usually makes me miss riding fixed, though in some rides I need geared to keep up with the other riders. I have to admit, though, it is sometimes very, very fun to coast down a long hill at speed...
Yes, hanging on to my Cervelo with Zipp 999 for bombing down mountains at 60 mph. I suppose I could make it fixed, though, but it would need about a 90 tooth chainring.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Fixed said:
Yes, hanging on to my Cervelo with Zipp 999 for bombing down mountains at 60 mph. I suppose I could make it fixed, though, but it would need about a 90 tooth chainring.
Even just leaning deep into turns .... I miss that sometimes too...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
cornering

PdxMark said:
Even just leaning deep into turns .... I miss that sometimes too...
Yes, cornering down mountain roads on a fixie becomes a lot more intense. It's a lot to ask to shift your weight, pedal at 130 rpms, brake, lean, and not bang a pedal on the ground all at once. Throw in cars, sand on the road, other riders, etc., and it really gets your attention. Same thing on a coaster is relatively enjoyable.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fixed said:
but it would need about a 90 tooth chainring.
That'd be as big as the crank! :eek:

I don't think I could ever get rid of the geared road bike. I thought I could do gearless, but after selling my geared mountain bike and only having a SS in the stable, I am really missing gears and will be getting a geared MTB this year. Still keeping the SS, though. :D

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I started riding fixed last summer, and have been on my geared bike about 3 times since. The geared bike isn't really mine anymore now. My roommate crashed and totaled his frame a couple months back, so now he's riding my geared bike. I'm happy to see it being used again instead of collecting dust.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I rode with gears twice this past weekend and to work yesterday. It was a real surprise how hard it's become for me to spin up hills now that I'm used to getting off the saddle and pushing the fixie's pedals. I definitely want both.

·
Registered
257 Posts
On the other hand, I feel a million times faster on my race bike. I commute all week on the steel fixie, so to be able to push it on the downhills and take corners fast feels great

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm one of the few guys who hasn't gotten used to a fixed gear. I built one up, have ridden it on commutes (hilly, about two miles) and it just takes all the fun out of it, even when riding with my friends who are on their fixies.

So, yeah, it makes me appreciate my geared bikes more. I take the fixie on maybe two short (~3 miles) rides a month, but that's about it. It does offer peace of mind when you lock up your old steel-frame fixie outside of a bar instead of a pricey-looking campy-equipped road bike.

·
Registered
138 Posts
lucer0 said:
On the other hand, I feel a million times faster on my race bike. I commute all week on the steel fixie, so to be able to push it on the downhills and take corners fast feels great
I was thinking about it and what I think is that there is two aspects to riding.
One is how fast I go and the other is how much fun I have.
I may not go quite as fast on the SS (not fixed) but I have a whole lot more fun.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I ride both and always will. The fixed gear is more about a different mindset though.

There are no fancy new age components and frame materials to keep up with. There is no sobbery or etiquette involved (that often gets associated with some of the roadie crowds). Speed is not as important as just enjoying the ride, so I don't use any computer or GPS.

All this helps to keep this part of cycling as simple and pure as possible.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.