Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't think Contador is a match for the mighty CSC team. Levi is no match against the Schlecks in the mountains. Contador would be alone with Sastre and the brothers. I don't think he'd ever get away.
Now a nice in team fight with Sastre and Andy would be sweet. Havent had a fight between teammates for awhile now ,have we? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Pretty sure he will remain , but not be the main contender for CSC. That's going to Andy for sure. Still, Sastre will be one heck of an asset on the mountains. Landis? Levi? lol, They're riding geriatrics as far as the new talent goes.

G

·
Don't discount Astana and Yohan - it'll be a good race. And, Andy will need to contend with Contator's mountain climbing ability which are pretty much even (Contrator I think has faster acceleration, Andy has better repeatability). And Contrator can out TT Andy by minutes at the moment.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Andy is still too young; Riis is a smart guy, he'll bring him along slowly. Landis/Basso will never ride the tour again; there is no way ASO would ever invite a team with either one of them one it. Landis is likely for Rock next year - it will be a major struggle to get into Tour of CA for them with him on the team given ASO's involvement in it as well.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Alberto just has to hang in there to win actually. Anyway, last year, he was doing what Andy/CSC did with repeated attacks. But, he would attack and has Kloden mind you and Chris Horner as well as Iglinsky in there too. Forget Levi although he can still help. Add Assan Bazayev and Gusev in there, he has a very strong team as well.

Plus with his TT ability constant throughout a Tour, he'd beat Andy Schleck flat.

Sastre might still be the GC guy or perhaps, the 'spare' GC guy because Andy has a lot of TT work to do yet. A lot.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bas said:
While on top?

Because - seriously - he has no chance next year....

Contador will chew him up.. Basso/LG might be back...Landis will be back too,right?

I thought Sastre was 36 going on 37. I looked it up, he's 33. He does look pretty old.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think he'll show up in another Tour of France. He could be a great asset for CSC as a support rider, but it would be silly for him to switch from reigning champion to domestique, even to super-domestique. I'd let him focus on the Tours of Spain and Italy, where a strong climber like him has a bit of a better chance.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If I were in Sastre's Shoes, I'd retire...
I've won the tour, my team is the strongest on the planet right now, and the Schleck bros. are gonna take over the GC role from here on out... If I were Riis, I'd be looking to get Frank a Tour win, and that will help Andy build enough over the next couple seasons, that he's got a shot at winning several times... Assuming somebody shows the Schleck bros. how to TT, and with Cancellara there, that's not really such a tough order.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Eh.. Why retire from your life.

Even if he can't keep up next year he'll still contribute to his team and be a great asset. I'd rather go out fighting than retire with my tail tucked between my legs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
stevesbike said:
Landis/Basso will never ride the tour again; there is no way ASO would ever invite a team with either one of them one it. Landis is likely for Rock next year - it will be a major struggle to get into Tour of CA for them with him on the team given ASO's involvement in it as well.
I doubt that. Why would they continue to punish them if they already served their sentence. That seems hypocritical... oh wait, astana... ASO blows

·
Registered
896 Posts
Landis in 09? is that for real? not that I hope it is, but can he still ride at all?
I think that Frank/Andy work so well together they are interchangeable. if at the end of a grand tour, Riis needs to sit the brother down in a room(like he did with Frank/Sastre) and have them agree on who is to win, then so be it. apart from CSC, Colombia, especially if they sign another superstar will be the other powerhouse. I don't think Astana has the depth unless they sign a few new riders

·
Registered
157 Posts
bauerb said:
Landis in 09? is that for real? not that I hope it is, but can he still ride at all?
Definitely. That's all he's done his entire life. What the hell else is he going to do?

I guarantee he will try to be back and will bust his ass to prove a point even if he lands on a team who can't support him. Lacking class as he does, I'd still like to see him back battling. He is still the best American rider we have at this point. Argue it all you want, but that man will suffer and welcome more suffering. He TTs better than everyone but maybe VdV and Zbriskie. Climbs better than all.

As his wife said...he's one tough *****. Love that class!!!
I don't think he'll retire but he won't be for the win again unless again he's again the one with the best opportunity. He'll no doubt be up front pulling again with the Schlecks, voigt, Cance, O'Grady, et all.

Next year's tour will rock. The Vuelta will be a good precursor, but I bet Contador wins simply for being less beat up from TDF and Olympics. Would like to see VV redeem himself though

·
Registered
157 Posts
Be 33 at next year's tour, but his body has been out of competition for 2 year already. Could be bad or good. Less stress from competition, but also less competition.

Actually...he's probably stronger now than when he had to ride with a dead hip. Not sure if you read his book, but he always had to make sure he got off a certain side of the bike or he'd fall over. Couldn't even support himself standing on that hip.

jackass or not...I want to see him back. He'd got a mean competitive streak and peloton needs that. Too much cooperation and humility is not good for sport...at least I think so. Every sport needs a badass....just a clean one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.