Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are expecting our first and moved into new digs. The new place is closer to work,the city, and great cycling roads. I even have a garage right off of the kitchen, which is a big thing in NYC metro. All this is great news except now I have less income and time to enjoy all of these things.

I'd like to set up a trainer in the garage. So, to anyone that's tried it in the past, my question is: can I train on a hybrid bike? Is this effective? My has taken a year off to stay with the baby and my toy budget is minimal. Since I only have one bike, I'd be buying a bike, and if I have to buy a bike I thought to buy her a hybrid bike - the Raleigh 50% sale has nice bikes left for tall women - and set that up on a trainer downstairs. I can then swap out the seat for my Prologo and the pedals for my LOOKS off the summer BMC and go to town on that setup (6' & she's 5'9"). That way if this doesn't pan out at least I would have purchased a bike that will be used.

Thoughts?

I thought about setting it up in the living room and doing the Zwift thing but then I'd need a better, more expensive trainer, and I'd make myself more "visible" by being upstairs.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
We are expecting our first and moved into new digs. The new place is closer to work,the city, and great cycling roads. I even have a garage right off of the kitchen, which is a big thing in NYC metro. All this is great news except now I have less income and time to enjoy all of these things.

I'd like to set up a trainer in the garage. So, to anyone that's tried it in the past, my question is: can I train on a hybrid bike? Is this effective? My has taken a year off to stay with the baby and my toy budget is minimal. Since I only have one bike, I'd be buying a bike, and if I have to buy a bike I thought to buy her a hybrid bike - the Raleigh 50% sale has nice bikes left for tall women - and set that up on a trainer downstairs. I can then swap out the seat for my Prologo and the pedals for my LOOKS off the summer BMC and go to town on that setup (6' & she's 5'9"). That way if this doesn't pan out at least I would have purchased a bike that will be used.

Thoughts?

I thought about setting it up in the living room and doing the Zwift thing but then I'd need a better, more expensive trainer, and I'd make myself more "visible" by being upstairs.
The short answer is YES. Your legs dont know what kind of bike you have

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the question is...does it make sense to hammer away in a more upright sitting position with flat bars, instead of the more aggressive position I'd have on a bike

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I'd set it up about the same as I do a mountain bike, with my back at 45 degrees. Add bar ends too so you can move around a little.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's no problem at all. You're overthinking. Many exercise bikes have a more upright position, and people get good exercise on them.

Since I only have one bike, I'd be buying a bike, and if I have to buy a bike I thought to buy her a hybrid bike
I'm not sure I see why you have the dilemma. It's quick and easy to put a bike on a trainer or remove it. I think it's great that you want to buy your wife a bike (if she wants one), but if you have a road bike, there's no reason you can't put it on the trainer when you want to.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
I guess the question is...does it make sense to hammer away in a more upright sitting position with flat bars, instead of the more aggressive position I'd have on a bike
It makes sense, but there are differences that might matter to you. A more upright position will tend to work quads more and hams/glutes less, all other things equal. The more upright, the bigger the effect.

My trainer bike is a low end mtb (won in a contest), that I use for the sole reason that both I and my wife can get it to fit. To get lower, I just put my forearms on the bar for a while, mixing things up over the course of the session.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I'm not sure I see why you have the dilemma. It's quick and easy to put a bike on a trainer or remove it.
Yeah, with winter right around the corner my wife's Bianchi is about to go on the trainer for the next few months. If we get a freakishly nice day, and don't feel like using the CX bikes, we'll simply remove the road bike and use it outside.

We do sometimes put an old tire on the rear so as to not wear out a good tire with "fake miles".

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I see why you have the dilemma. It's quick and easy to put a bike on a trainer or remove it. I think it's great that you want to buy your wife a bike (if she wants one), but if you have a road bike, there's no reason you can't put it on the trainer when you want to.
I know all about quick releases and all that jazz. I'm a bigger guy @ 6' 220. IIRC, my BMC's seat stays are 1/100th of an inch thick or something like that. When you clamp a bike in the rear and then start to hammer on it the torsional forces placed on the frame far exceed those placed on the frame when out riding. I know carbon doesn't assplode but...with my toy budget severely constrained this year is not the year to find out that I need a new frame after mashing on the trainer with wanton abandon.

and yes, with the child in mind wife wanted a city/hybrid for MUT's and whatnot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts