Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - first post here.

I just came into a 1990 cannondale criterion ( garage sale ) I like the bike, but it's way too big for me!
My inseam is 81 - 82 cm, I'm 5'10" 165lbs

According to another website my frame size should be somewhere around 54 cm. This bike is a whopping 66 cm. I like the bike quite a bit, and I'm not planning to pick up a new road bike anytime soon.

So far I've noticed this bike is pretty darn fast, and super rigid, but I'm coming off of a heavy "all mountain" ride, so my experience is limited.

So my question has two parts:
1) What is the effect / result of riding a too large bike ?

2) What can I do to make the bike fit as well as possible? I feel a bit stretched out when I'm on the dropped bars. What effect does scooting the seat forward on its rails have?

Also any good threads or sites on sizing would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
1) You will get injured

2) You will get injured

This means you should trade that baby in for another frame that fits you. Don't play cheap with your health. I mean didn't you consult a physician before starting your exercise routine?

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
66cm is too big for you (you didn't measure it yourself, did you?). A 54cm might be right if you're racing in competition and need every millimeter or wind cheating aerodynamics. I'm guessing you'd be more comfortable on a 56cm. When you do decide to go bike shopping make sure to try different sizes. (One thing I noticed watching this year's Tour de France. It seemed like a lot of riders were on more sensibly sized bikes. I guess the chiropractic bills from the last few years of uber drops is catching up with the teams, or maybe they figured out that riders generate more power on correctly sized bikes).

In answer to your question, you should be able to move the saddle forward on the rails so long as you don't go beyond the 'safe' markings on it. You could also try a shorter stem. My biggest concern would be stand-over height. You don't want to rupture anything if you come off the saddle onto the top tube.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Are you sure it's a 66cm? A bike that size is extremely rare. Make sure you are measuring it correctly. Measure from the center of the crankset along the seat tube to the intersection of the top tube of the frame. Not to the top of the seat tube where the seatpost enters the frame but to the middle of the top tube interesection. you could ride up to a 58cm at yout height, but if it really is a 66cm, then it is far to big. A 66 is for someone at least 6' 4".

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
czar said:

I just came into a 1990 cannondale criterion ( garage sale ) I like the bike, but it's way too big for me!

According to another website my frame size should be somewhere around 54 cm. This bike is a whopping 66 cm. I like the bike quite a bit, and I'm not planning to pick up a new road bike anytime soon.

So far I've noticed this bike is pretty darn fast, and super rigid, but I'm coming off of a heavy "all mountain" ride, so my experience is limited.

2) What can I do to make the bike fit as well as possible? I feel a bit stretched out when I'm on the dropped bars. What effect does scooting the seat forward on its rails have?

Thanks in advance!
Considering the bolded statements, I doubt the bike was a 66. I'm thinking closer to a 56 and you're not accustomed to riding in the drops. If it is a 56, you might be able to raise the stem (I'm assuming quill) and/ or get a shorter one, depending on what size is on the bike now. Moving the seat forward as you suggest will most likely move you ahead of knee over pedal spindle (KOPS). Not a measurement to live by, but a 'tool' of sorts to get you in a starting position on a frame that otherwise fits. I'm not sure this bike fits that description.

Be careful though, because like others have said, you could easily be injured on an ill fitting bike.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I had to check but Cannondale does make a 66cm frame, I never knew. Anyways, Do your feet touch the pedals? That is a huge bike. I am 6'5" or 1.9 meters tall and I would have a tough time riding that bike. Try to remeasure as described above or look on the bike for the measurement sticker. If it is a nice frame you should be able to sell it to a freak like my brother who is 6'8".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the 66cm measurement from looking at the stamp on the rear chanstay and referencing vintagecannondale.com, so I'm pretty sure it’s a 66.

Funny - I don’t seem to be having any trouble riding this thing. The seat post is way down and I feel like I'm getting a good spin and all. Turning radius is big. Maybe I just don’t know how much better a correctly fitting bike feels since I have so little experience with road bikes.....

Thanks for the input and quick replies!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow... read my old thread and yes I am still going to DR.

czar said:

Thanks in advance!

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=140947

HEED the warnings or enjoy the PAIN :mad2:

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
czar said:
I got the 66cm measurement from looking at the stamp on the rear chanstay and referencing vintagecannondale.com, so I'm pretty sure it’s a 66.

Funny - I don’t seem to be having any trouble riding this thing. The seat post is way down and I feel like I'm getting a good spin and all. Turning radius is big. Maybe I just don’t know how much better a correctly fitting bike feels since I have so little experience with road bikes.....

Thanks for the input and quick replies!
So take an hour and go test ride a properly sized bike at your LBS. Then you'll know! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.