Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me 3+ times so far. I am riding along on a smooth road and I feel a thump-thump-thump from the rear. When I stop and take a look the tire looks like this:

View attachment 279304

This has happened after 500 to 1500 miles of use. I weigh 165 lbs and inflate to 120 psi. The tire is rated to 125 psi. Has anyone seen this type of failure? What causes this?

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
23,021 Posts
Is the tire damaged, blown, etc. Or is it just buldged? Hard to tell what's going on from that pic. How's the rim look in that spot? Did all 3 of these failures occur at the same spot on the rim?

And 120psi is too much pressure (not that it was necessarily the cause of your problem). Lower the pressure, get a smoother ride, and probably go faster too.
Bicycle tire pressure calculator

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tire is not blown or otherwise damaged. The rim is fine in this area and I have never had a pinch flat. I was riding on a smooth road when the problem developed.

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
the belt is busted
Looks like it might be a busted belt to me, too.

Has happened a few times on my car/truck; just driving along, highway speeds on smooth roads, sudden insane thumping from tire. Tire holding air but grossly misshapen.

With such low mileage take it back where ya bought it. They will hopefully give you a new one.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
"Belt"? What belt? Bicycle tires don't have radial belts like car tires. They have diagonal-thread plies folded bead to bead.

Joe, I still don't understand the problem. Can you describe it better? Is the tire bead partly unseated from the rim? What does it look like from the side? If the bead is escaping , the problem is likely that you never got it perfectly seated when installing and inflating, or there may be a section of bead that's damaged. did it happen at the same spot on the tire each time, or did you not keep track of that?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tire has a "wiggle" in it when viewed from the top as I show in my picture. It has a slight bulge to it when viewed from the side. It is still seated in the rim and holds pressure. This particular tire had ~1500 miles on it, but I have had them do the same thing with less miles. I did not keep track of the location on the wheel.

My guess from the replies to my question is that this is not a common failure mode.

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
23,021 Posts
The tire has a "wiggle" in it when viewed from the top as I show in my picture. It has a slight bulge to it when viewed from the side. It is still seated in the rim and holds pressure. This particular tire had ~1500 miles on it, but I have had them do the same thing with less miles. I did not keep track of the location on the wheel.

My guess from the replies to my question is that this is not a common failure mode.

Ride Safe,

Joe
No not common at all. 1500mi is time for a new tire. But if it's the rim causing the problem, you're riding on a potential disaster.

The rim is fine in this area and I have never had a pinch flat
Did you remove the tire and inspect the rim in that area?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have gotten 4000+ out of these tires, if I don't get a bad puncture.

I did not inspect the rim for specific defects, however the rim brakes are as smooth as ever and I noticed no anomalies when mounting the tire.

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
441 Posts

I did not inspect the rim for specific defects, however the rim brakes are as smooth as ever and I noticed no anomalies when mounting the tire.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Huh, why? What caused the failure? You should always find the failure. Always always always.

·
Registered
23,021 Posts

Ride Safe,

Joe
You're not being very helpful with info. You originally said "This has happened after 500 to 1500 miles of use" But you've gotten 4000+ miles out of these tires?
Same set of tires? Different tires?

Rim brakes being smooth is irrelevant. Is the rim true? How's the inside look where the tire mounts. That's what holds the tire on. Not the outside rim surfance.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You're not being very helpful with info. .
Yeah, I'm about to give up, joe, though I'd like to help. You still haven't described clearly and fully what you observe, nor have you answered several direct questions clearly (e.g., I asked about the location on the TIRE, and you said you didn't track the location on the WHEEL).

FWIW, I think there's something wrong with your rim. But I ain't sure.

good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Answering several questions:

The bead was seated evenly to start. I always pump the tire to a medium pressure, then deflate it, then inflate to pressure, then inspect the bead line. If the bead is not seated one can get a blow out where the tube escapes the tire.

This has happened on at least three different tires when I have had 500-1500 miles on them. Once this happens I throw the tire out once I get home. However, the failure is not catastrophic as it maintains pressure and does not rub.

When these tires don't fail this way (as shown above) I can get 4000 miles out of the rear based on tread wear. Of course actual mileage on a specific tire is usually dictated by a puncture.

I did not inspect the rim per-se, but the braking is good. The rim also runs true within a 1/16" or so. I have not had any traumatic events with the wheel (crash, pot hole.

Ride Safe,

Joe

I

·
Registered
89 Posts
That looks like a vredestein tri comp. I heard a few years ago that they were having issues with tires with bulging spots. I bought a set recently with no problems. Did you buy a few at the same time some time ago?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.