Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Except the chainrings could still be ok. So now you'll ruin them too.
I disagree, the cost benefit of replacing cassettes and chains simply because you are worried about chainrings is crazy. Once again it the OPs money but I would bet money that the majority of people on this forum upgrade or replace their bikes well before there is enough wear on chainrings to worry about. Most won’t wear out a chainring on a mountain bike with the mud, grit that comes with mountain biking, let alone a road bike that is kept even relatively clean. You guys can continue to replace chains, cassettes, chainrings etc every 2500 miles at whatever cost but over the course of 4 or 5 years you may save enough to pay for a significant portion of your new bike. Plus if you do wear out you chainrings after 15000 miles, which is unlikely, you can buy a complete crankset for the same price as a cassette. Do what you guys want with your money, buy new chains, cassettes etc but bike shops make money by selling things, not by telling you that you don’t need something.

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
I disagree, the cost benefit of replacing cassettes and chains simply because you are worried about chainrings is crazy.
That's not what I, or others have said.
If you have a worn cassette and you continue riding it, you will prematurely wear your rings. That's dumb.
Yes rings last a long time IF you maintain your drive train, not if you are dumb and ride on worn components.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I really dont care what people do, actually I love the fact they want to give the manufactures and shops more money as it drives the industry. I am just saying that a lot of people replace drive train components at far too short of intervals. The industry has done a great job of pushing this. I think it was MTB Action that once had how often you should replace your components and if I remember correctly stems were “worn out” after 3 years and frames after 4 or something stupid like that. My current road bike has probably 15000 miles in it on first gen SRAM Red / Dura Ace cassette/ KMC chain so what is that10 years old. Not a lot of miles for how old it is but I have replaced the chain exactly once at probably 4000 miles because it broke. No new cassette, no new rings, just threw a new chain on and called it a day. Still shifts fine, doesn’t skip and I don’t drop chains. Probably time to replace everything now if I need another chain but I will do that when there is an actual reason. More than likely I will just buy a new bike. To replace the chain and cassette with other comparable parts every 2500 miles would have been 2k during that time. But maybe I wouldn’t have had to worry about chainrings now?

My mountain bike which gets ridden significantly more has seen a progression from 3x9 to a 2x10 to now a 1x12 has had numerous drivetrains on it obviously. I replaced the cassettes and chains at the time of conversion but never simply because someone told me something was worn out. Significantly more miles than my road bike but again I had a reason to upgrade the parts at the time

For some reason I don’t see RAAM riders replacing components half way through and I would be surprised if any high mileage cyclist is replacing their drivetrain every 3 months. But continue to support the economy and the industry. We definitely need that.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Oh brother! Another "bike shops are trying to rip us off" poster. <YAWN>

·
Registered
160 Posts
I didn’t say they are trying to rip us off, not unless they are charging us for things they aren’t doing. What they are doing is upselling, like replacing cabin air filters with every oil change or when the ice cream girl asks if you want a waffle cone with your triple scoop. Some answer with an emphatic yes, like me with the waffle cone. Others answer no, like me with the air filter every 3k miles. Point is you need to be an educated consumer.

The OP asked for people’s opinions on whether or not you should replace the cassette with a new chain. I gave my opinion and everyone else here gave theirs, that is why this is a forum. My personal experience from riding bicycles for 35 years and wrenching on bikes for 35 years (10 as a professional mechanic) leads me to my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth, maybe it’s not worth much but who knows. Me personally, I would rather spend my money on 15 or 20 triple scoop waffle cones then on a new cassette that I didn’t need.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Damn, you're all over the place. Nobody here is advocating always replacing a cassette when you replace the chain. Where did you come up with that one? The consensus here was only to replace the cassette if the new chain skips.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am headed back to MTBR. At least over there people argue really important things like the how 40 year old trails are unridable unless you have 150mm of travel or more and how bikes are outdated because the ST angle is 0.25deg too slack.

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
Damn, you're all over the place. Nobody here is advocating always replacing a cassette when you replace the chain. Where did you come up with that one? The consensus here was only to replace the cassette if the new chain skips.
Typical obfuscation and deflection.
When some people can't argue the point, they write a wall of text arguing about irrelevant stuff no one else was discussing.
They think it makes them look knowledgeable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jesus Crist people, the OP is riding an 8 speed aluminum bike that is probably worth 200-300 bucks, is probably 15 years old and openly admits the shop has ripped him off before. Obviously he doesn't ride the bike often as he has an 8spd bike with 2500 miles on it. I am simply saying that the cost benefit of sinking 150 bucks into a $300 bike isn't worth it. If a new chain skips keep riding the old one. When the bike is 30 years old with 5000 miles then worry about it. The cost benefit of putting the money back into the bike with absolutely no improved performance is crazy. I would even question replacing the chain even if a new chain doesn't skip. Simply clean the drivetrain, lube or replace the cables and for 20bucks it will be as good as new.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Jesus Crist people, the OP is riding an 8 speed aluminum bike that is probably worth 200-300 bucks, is probably 15 years old and openly admits the shop has ripped him off before. Obviously he doesn't ride the bike often as he has an 8spd bike with 2500 miles on it. I am simply saying that the cost benefit of sinking 150 bucks into a $300 bike isn't worth it. If a new chain skips keep riding the old one. When the bike is 30 years old with 5000 miles then worry about it. The cost benefit of putting the money back into the bike with absolutely no improved performance is crazy. I would even question replacing the chain even if a new chain doesn't skip. Simply clean the drivetrain, lube or replace the cables and for 20bucks it will be as good as new.
If you had an older car, would you just stop changing the oil and drive it until the engine seized? If you change a chain and it skips, the cassette is worn and needs to be changed. I don't care if its 8 speed or 12. By ignoring basic maintenance, and riding the old chain and cassette, you are accelerating the wear to the chainrings and pulleys. It will not be good as new, because you are riding on worn the fuck out parts. You may not notice because you are used to it, but it rides and shifts like shit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So you are saying it makes sense to replace a $2500 transmission on a 15yo $5000 car that hasn’t been taken care of because you feel an occasional grind? Or would you just change the fluids if you knew you could drive it for another 15 years. Someone on this thread has delayed maintenance on a vehicle or house, refused a crown their dentist recommends, lives with that rattle when the fridge compressor starts up because it is “good enough” and money is better spent elsewhere. I am simply saying it is OK. You may have consequences later but something like a bicycle drivetrain those consequences aren’t going to be all that great. If it bugs you fix it, if you would rather pay rent or get that crown or buy a new fridge don’t let anyone tell you your bike is “worn the fuck out” and you simply don’t know any better.

·
Registered
921 Posts
So you are saying it makes sense to replace a $2500 transmission on a 15yo $5000 car that hasn’t been taken care of because you feel an occasional grind? Or would you just change the fluids if you knew you could drive it for another 15 years. Someone on this thread has delayed maintenance on a vehicle or house, refused a crown their dentist recommends, lives with that rattle when the fridge compressor starts up because it is “good enough” and money is better spent elsewhere. I am simply saying it is OK. You may have consequences later but something like a bicycle drivetrain those consequences aren’t going to be all that great. If it bugs you fix it, if you would rather pay rent or get that crown or buy a new fridge don’t let anyone tell you your bike is “worn the fuck out” and you simply don’t know any better.
OK:rolleyes:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I thought you were heading back to MTBR?
Just something else you made up to add to your diatribe.
Ramble ramble ramble
Everything I own is hanging on by a thread because I refuse to do simple inexpensive maintenance. Then one day all my stuff just stopped working. Now, I need a new fridge, washer and dryer, car, bike, lawnmower and air conditioner. But, I saved a couple of bucks along the way.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
.........refused a crown their dentist recommends.......
Oh yeah right, no sense repairing that tooth if you're old because you're just going to die and be replaced soon anyway. 🙄

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Jesus Crist people, the OP is riding an 8 speed aluminum bike that is probably worth 200-300 bucks, is probably 15 years old and openly admits the shop has ripped him off before. Obviously he doesn't ride the bike often as he has an 8spd bike with 2500 miles on it. I am simply saying that the cost benefit of sinking 150 bucks into a $300 bike isn't worth it.
Newsflash! An 8-speed chain and cassette don't cost $150. And he already spent the money on the new chain. 8-speed cassettes are cheap:

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
Newsflash! An 8-speed chain and cassette don't cost $150. And he already spent the money on the new chain. 8-speed cassettes are cheap:

OMG :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I never bothered to read the wall of text.
WTF. $150
Oh FFS. Dude had no credibility to begin with. Now he has negative credibility.
But he was a 'professional mechanic' :ROFLMAO:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
OMG :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I never bothered to read the wall of text.
WTF. $150
Oh FFS. Dude had no credibility to begin with. Now he has negative credibility.
But he was a 'professional mechanic' :ROFLMAO:
And he thinks if you change the fluid on a 15 yo transmission that never had any maintenance, you will be able to drive it for another 15 years. Let's see, at 10K miles per year, that's 150K miles. If a fluid change has never been done for that number of miles and it starts to grind, changing the fluid could be the kiss of death for an AT. Not to mention there is nothing like being stranded.

I certainly wouldn't let this guy anywhere near my bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can see why the three of you have you panties in such a twist and are so intolerant of other opinions. Jump over to the politics forum for some more group think, oh wait, you guys are just as intolerant over there already. The 3 of you can be as pompous as you want thinking people don’t have to make decisions on money, I am simply saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Anyone else that is worried about a little wear, think for yourself and make your own decision.

Bunch of Karen’s on this thread yelling at people who live in the real world.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts