Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Could you live "Car free" in todays world?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think? I'd like to see one, full of helpful advise for those who enjoy this sort of thing.

If this has already been brought up before, please feel free to remove this post...Jason

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I like to think this forum is about celebrating the joy of cycling.

KendleFox said:
What do you think? I'd like to see one, full of helpful advise for those who enjoy this sort of thing.

If this has already been brought up before, please feel free to remove this post...Jason
I am not anti-car, I just don't care about them.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I would love to use the bike more (and I have lived car free bike only before) and my car less but at this moment it's not possible. Only 33 more teaching days till I'll have 2 months to ride ride ride!!!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Kids make it tough to be car-free. I try to use my bike as much as possible/as much as I feel like but some days it's just easier to grab those keys:(

·
Registered
121 Posts
I could live car free now, but I don't. I can't reach my parent's place by transit, so a car comes in handy for some occassions.

And for those days I do end up driving to work, I usually wish I could have rode.

I did go car free for a couple years in the past.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
We have talked many times about getting rid of one of our cars. Not really feasible to go completely car-less. The rest of my family is 300 miles away. Sure I could rent a car if I needed to, and we've discussed that as well. We will probably be down to a single car by the end of the year though. Just trying to decide which one...

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Chris H said:
We have talked many times about getting rid of one of our cars. Not really feasible to go completely car-less. The rest of my family is 300 miles away. Sure I could rent a car if I needed to, and we've discussed that as well. We will probably be down to a single car by the end of the year though. Just trying to decide which one...
When we relocated we downsized to only one car- that neither of us uses for work. It is almost as liberating as the feeling we had for three months of actually being car free (except that it rained daily during that time). We are putting the extra money into our house- something that will increase in value.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been living car-free for the past four years. Where I'm living now, SE Missouri it's very difficult, but where I lived previous to this and where I'm returing in two short weeks(Denver) it was great. I could commute to work via bike path, and I lived in the Capitol Hill area so the basic needs, groceries etc. could be taken care of via foot, bike or public transportation. Having said all this it should be noted that I'm single with no kids, I can see how this kind of lifestyle would be difficult with a family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.