Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate trying to pin my race numbers on my shirts. they always flap around in the wind. I want a double-sided sticker that would adhere to my sweaty shirt, and the race number itself. it would be a 6x8 size sticker. am I crazy? these must be out there somewhere

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
If they flap around...

bauerb said:
I hate trying to pin my race numbers on my shirts. they always flap around in the wind. I want a double-sided sticker that would adhere to my sweaty shirt, and the race number itself. it would be a 6x8 size sticker. am I crazy? these must be out there somewhere
If they flap around, you're not doing it right. Crinkle up your race number before putting it on, this helps, and then use a bunch of safety pins, personally, I go with 8, just one on each side of the number, and 4 on the corners. Do not place pins through the holes that come on the numbers usually, this is a sure way to get the described flapping. Post race, remove the number and keep the pins for the next race, or return them to the promoter if you don't want them.

But.. There are some adhesive sprays that work very well. Spray number, apply to jersey, and secure with some pins. Stays flatter.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
there is a weekly TT series out here. For a lot of people that is all they race. Some of them sew their number on the jersey.

i'm a crinkle man.

ball it up, open it, repeat a few times, until it feels 'soft'

I use the premade holes and have never had a problem with flapping.

after you crinkle it properly it will be a little smaller, when you pin it, stretch it out on you. Too much and it will tug at your jersey, to little = flapping.

after you put the jersey on, simulate your riding position and have a teamate/friend adjust it if necessary.

its really not hard at all...

I only use 4 pins too, never had a problem...

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are race numbers with adhesive backings. I don't know where one can buy such novelties, but I watched a Tour documentary and Lance used one. He peeled off the backing, stuck the number onto his maillot jaune and reinforced it with pins.

6 pins work for me. Stuff a throw pillow into your jersey, if you have one readily available, and the pillow acts as a mold. I never pin through the holes. I use two pins on each side and a pin for top and bottom of the number.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What kind of fiber paper do they use to make these local numbers out of? It's like the most annoying stuff ever. It is water resistent for the most part, but other than, it's just annoying. I have about 20 of them hung up in my garage, from all over the SE USA, and they are all the same.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Never crinkle if you plan on placing. Crinkling a number on a sunny day ends up reflecting light at all sorts of angles and makes it very difficult for officials to read your number with a video camera. Depends on the district, but veteran officials will often chastise riders for crinkling their numbers or take down their numbers and dq them in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.