Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
I generally don't wish asthma on people, but it might be nice if those bonehead who suspended him found out what it's like not be able to breathe. Once an athlete established that s/he has a medical need the burden of proof should be on the organizing body, that the drug was used for performance enhancement, not the other way around as it seems to be.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
DM.Aelis said:
to anyone else?

http://velonews.com/article/75891/cas-suspends-petacchi

No cheating, yet still banned???

Am I missing something?
He cheated, an injection or oral ingestion of 2 + inhalers is not something you do accidentally.

What is ridiculous is that Piepoli was not nailed for the same thing, but he is smart enough to have his license in Monaco, where they never pursue anyone....just ask Rassmusan

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
bas said:
Tell that to the athletes who came in 2nd and 3rd who didn't use a stimulant.

They were robbed with Petacchi over dosing..

Anyways, this will probably end up in the doping forum...
:thumbsup:
accident or not, it must be punished.

he had an advantage over other riders = cheating

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The rule is that the athlete must be repsonsible for what goes in his body. There have been a number of cases in which athletes ingested contaminated vitamins or other suplements. They were suspended.

While I agree that Pettachi is unlucky to have asthma, it is also true that a suspicious number of top riders also have it. If there is a way to get around the system, althletes will find it, including "accidental" overdoses of Salbutimol.

The rules have to be firm and clear and impartially applied.

JSR

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Indeed, it would be an unusual way of attempting to enhance performance to take the prohibited substance after the particular event had concluded."

This is what confused me; he had an over the limit level of the substance, but it played no part in his performance in the event as it was consumed afterwards. That's what confuses me. : /

I just saw a double of this thread in the doping forum, my bad!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How about the other rider who had more salbutamol in his system than Petacchi and was not suspended? I forget his name...it was in the cyclingnews article. Petacchi's punishment was overly harsh, IMO, but at least apply the rules fairly.

Edit: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2008/petacchi_suspension_may08

The other rider was Leonardo Piepoli, I think on Saunier Duval. They tested positive on the same day, Piepoli had 1800 ng/mL while Petacchi had 1352.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
nrs-air said:
How about the other rider who had more salbutamol in his system than Petacchi and was not suspended. I forget his name...it was in the cyclingnews article. Petacchi's punishment was overly harsh, IMO, but at least apply the rules fairly.
It was Piepoli.

The Italian Fed did their job and sanctioned Petacchi...Piepoli is registered in Monaco. They are slow to respond, if ever, to dopers. Ask Rassmusen who had his license there as well. The UCI should do their job and ask Monaco what is up.....at the same time the UCI should also ask the Kashkstan Fed gave Vino only one year?

·
LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
bigpinkt said:
It was Piepoli.

The Italian Fed did their job and sanctioned Petacchi...Piepoli is registered in Monaco. They are slow to respond, if ever, to dopers. Ask Rassmusen who had his license there as well. The UCI should do their job and ask Monaco what is up.....at the same time the UCI should also ask the Kashkstan Fed gave Vino only one year?
They are too busy asking the spanish federation what is up. :p

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
California L33 said:
I generally don't wish asthma on people, but it might be nice if those bonehead who suspended him found out what it's like not be able to breathe. Once an athlete established that s/he has a medical need the burden of proof should be on the organizing body, that the drug was used for performance enhancement, not the other way around as it seems to be.
Some ridiculous percentage of cyclists (45% as I recall) have medical certificates to use asthma medication. It's just another cheat loophole that most cyclists exploit to get corticosteroids in their body. Technically it's not considered "performance enhancing" so this is why they can get the waiver but obviously there are dosage limits and those are the rules. Sorry Petacchi but that's a mistake you can't afford to make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.