Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Specialized bike suffered a flat today while it was being ridden off-road on rocks. I expected a pinch flat, but when I opened it up, the whole tube was split. I've since read that this is a reoccurring theme with Specialized tubes.

Is this unique to Specialized, or are they all like that?

What tubes should I carry (and use)? (The spare I had is also specialized.) The tires are 700C 35mm Clemency, fwiw.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
My wife's Specialized bike suffered a flat today while it was being ridden off-road on rocks. I expected a pinch flat, but when I opened it up, the whole tube was split. I've since read that this is a reoccurring theme with Specialized tubes.

Is this unique to Specialized, or are they all like that?

What tubes should I carry (and use)? (The spare I had is also specialized.) The tires are 700C 35mm Clemency, fwiw.
CX is probably right. :D

Continental tubes have been the best for years, IMO. They must have better quality control.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Tubes are tubes. I buy Bontrager only because they come in a tightly packed box and I prefer to keep my spare tube while riding protected. Never heard of a tube's seems coming undone. As far as flats go, I expect protection from the tire not the tube.

CX is probably right about multiple brands made in the same factory. I doubt Specialized has its own factory. They probably rebrand someone else's generic tube as does Bontrager. Perhaps Conti and Michelin make their own. They're actually in the business of making tires.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Brands like Trek, Specialized and others will have tubes manufactured by one of the companies that specialize in that. They work the that manufacturer to specify the product, its components and materials, manufacturing processes, QC checks etc.. So, though tubes may come from the same manufacturer, they may indeed be different. And, it's certainly possible that different manufacturers produces tubes to the same standards and spec for a given brand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts