Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching the pros & cons of feeding a raw diet to dogs. Do any of you do this?
There seem to be a lot of variations/philosophies out there, and people get so religious about it, some of the doggie message forum threads I've found look like something out of PO.

·
yup
2,726 Posts
Dogs LOVE raw stuff. We give our pup raw stuff whenever we have it, but mostly she gets science diet and bananas (because she LOVES bananas, not because they are good for her).

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
One of our miniature schnauzers had chronic seizures as a young pup, so we started giving him phenobarbital and potassium bromate to try and get the episodes under control. After a few years we decided that the meds didn't do squat and were only making him lethargic and sedate, so we started experimenting with different dog foods. As soon as we switched to the organic, high-end dog food without preservatives he stopped having seizures. Just like that. He hasn't had one since we made the switch.

So yeah, I think there is something to be said about getting off the cheap, mass-market foods, but as far as raw foods go... I'm not so sure. What does your vet think?

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
teh wal mart was out of purina dog chow so i picked up a bag of kibbles n bits, they freggin love it.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
i feed a decent feed that doesn't give Lace gas..........80 pound dog farts are bad news

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BuckeyeBiker said:
...What does your vet think?
I haven't talked to a vet, but I'm guessing as a retailer for non-raw dog food, he won't be very fond of it. What I've gathered from my research so far is that the vet/food company relationship is very much like the doctor/drug company relationship from schooling up through practice

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I have some friends that do the 100% raw dog diet. But they actually have to devote quite a bit of time to it (meal prep is pretty extensive), I just don't have the ambition -- or time -- to do that. The good: they claim that the volume of poo is reduced by 75%.

And to TOG: our 160 lb beast (I call him Farticus) plays butt tunes so loud we can hear them from the other end of the house -- and they're freakin' TOXIC!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
JustTooBig said:
I have some friends that do the 100% raw dog diet. But they actually have to devote quite a bit of time to it (meal prep is pretty extensive), I just don't have the ambition -- or time -- to do that. The good: they claim that the volume of poo is reduced by 75%.

And to TOG: our 160 lb beast (I call him Farticus) plays butt tunes so loud we can hear them from the other end of the house -- and they're freakin' TOXIC!!!
I had a problem with my last lab....TOO much food will give a dog gas.......They can ONLY digests so much, the rest ferments

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Have you been reading that 'other' bike forum? ;)

I don't have the time for raw food prep, but I did swich Chloe to Canidae dry food. I can see a difference in her coat, and she's lost 2 pounds!

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
snapdragen said:

I don't have the time for raw food prep, but I did swich Chloe to Canidae dry food. I can see a difference in her coat, and she's lost 2 pounds!
I noticed a change in Dexter's coat too. He also dropped four pounds after the switch. The vet is always shocked at how old he is when they see him; he's eleven years old, but they say he looks like he's only six or seven.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
People say that about Chloe too! She's 11 going on 5 :D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
snapdragen said:

I took Lace to see the vet once and the vet was talking to her, telling her what a good girl she was for staying so slim and fit.......

I tapped her on the shoulder and told her.."Barb.......uh....thanks, I'll take all the credit for that.
I feed her (and measure the food) and exercise her EVERY day.......bad weather and busy times, I feed her less....if I can't exercise her. She HATES that....but guess what, SHE'S THE DOG.........I win!

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
This is the stuff my dog and elderly cat get. http://www.naturesvariety.com/

I started giving it to my cat when he had lost some teeth and was also refusing any canned food of any quality or variety. He was loosing weight, was lethargic and his coat was dull and dry. Since he's been on this stuff he's like a new cat and I am convinced it's added five years to his life. He is 19 now and while he does spend a lot of time sleeping (what cat doesn't) he is in very good health for his age.

Our mixed breed 55 lb dog started getting it because it was just easier since we were already buying it for the cat.

I buy it frozen in packages of 1/2 lb patties from a local pet supply store. It stays frozen and I only thaw what I need for one day. The cat eats a little less than a whole patti a day, put out in small portions several times a day. The dog gets between 1/3 and 1/2 a patti mixed with good kibble twice a day. He likes something to crunch. The instructions tell you to pick up anything no finished in 30 minutes and to wash all bowls with soapy water after eating.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I switched to Costco's Kirkland Signature dry and canned. Good ingredients and a reasonable cost. I think there was a thread on this some time ago....

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I've been researching the pros & cons of feeding a raw diet to dogs. Do any of you do this?
There seem to be a lot of variations/philosophies out there, and people get so religious about it, some of the doggie message forum threads I've found look like something out of PO.

I got some for Riley a couple of weeks ago (Oma's Pride - I think they're local). Cost like $5 for about a pound. Riley looked at it, sniffed it, and then ate a Wheat Thin I gave him. Never touched the raw stuff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We used Pitcairn's 'Complete Guide to Natural Health...' to design the diets for our dogs. Amazon has it. The only recommendation that we don't follow from the book is legumes - we don't feed the dogs since the research seems conflicted.

We do use cooked food vs. raw meaty bones. It was a helpful guide coming up with a solution that worked for us. It also helped to provide guidance for supplements (calcium in particular).

And, yes, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Our vet would rather have them on kibble 'just to be safe' - but we've worked through the concerns. It is a little expensive, but food choice is an important part of our household and that includes the dogs.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I haven't talked to a vet, but I'm guessing as a retailer for non-raw dog food, he won't be very fond of it. What I've gathered from my research so far is that the vet/food company relationship is very much like the doctor/drug company relationship from schooling up through practice[/QUOTE]

I can assure you that things aren't like they used to be on that front.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts