Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to adopt/rescue a dog from the pound. However, my job is prohibitive to me owning one with the hours that I work. I'm usually away at work for 10-10.5 hours, and I cannot bear the thought of leaving a dog cooped up for this long while I'm gone. I don't want to pay for doggie daycare. Has anyone here made a situation like this work?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Get a cat.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a cat person. And I'm allergic to cats.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,796 Posts
Maybe you can volunteer your time at a local animal shelter. It will allow time for interaction and make a few dogs very happy.

Is there a strict policy against pets in the office where you work?

I was fortunate to have worked at pet-friendly company around the time my bulldog's kidney's were failing. It gave me the opportunity to care for him full-time and spend our last days together it was time to say farewell.

Here he is in happier times with his fellow canine office mates.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I really want to adopt/rescue a dog from the pound. However, my job is prohibitive to me owning one with the hours that I work. I'm usually away at work for 10-10.5 hours, and I cannot bear the thought of leaving a dog cooped up for this long while I'm gone. I don't want to pay for doggie daycare. Has anyone here made a situation like this work?
yeah....it involves having a spouse to take care of the animal when you can't. its also involves a LOT of continuous exercise for the animal so its sleeps most of the day. If you can't be fair to the dog, don't get the dog. Dogs require socialization and exercise. daily. without exception, year after year.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
If you can't be fair to the dog, don't get the dog. Dogs require socialization and exercise. daily. without exception, year after year.

Exactly. The nicest thing you could do for a dog is NOT adopt one.

John wasn't a cat person until he got to know my cat, and now he spoils her rotten. He is viciously allergic, but got shots for 2-1/2 years. He's also built up some immunity to her, but we also use a true-HEPA vacuum, air filter for the house, and she's mostly downstairs, so the bedroom is dander-free.

We can leave her up to 3 days all alone, but I usually have our next-door neighbor peek in on her during the day. She's very low-maintenance but still great company.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts

Really with those hours, don't get a dog.

If you did get a dog, and had him in a crate all day, he would not be well adjusted. He would be super hyper at night, just when you want to relax, that's not a good mix. Then he will not be well adjusted to other dog or humans.

My wife and I love dogs, we have 2. But, what makes our dogs so awesome is my wife does not work, so she spends a lot of time with them, and she has them totally dialed into a routine. 2 walks a day, 4 trips a day to go outside, nap time etc. So come 7pm, when I'm done, they jump in my lap and fall asleep.

I know it's not want you want to hear, but it's really best not to get a dog right now at this point in life.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I am gone 10-11 hours a day (work plus 1+ hour commute each way). I've had two dogs. My house that I lived in at the time had a fenced back yard and a walk out basement. I installed a dog door , so the dog could go outside when it wanted to. The last dog was a 190 lbs Great Dane. The door was 3' tall and 2' wide. People would always ask if I worried about someone crawling through the door. I'd tell them that the door is obviously not for a poodle. He was a really sweet dog and probably would have slept through a burglary.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
find a lady with a dog....problem solved!

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
I have 2 cats-the older one is a typical female cat, a bit cranky, and very feline. She can be sweet, but is often indifferent, like cats often are. The younger cat, though, was raised around dogs, and has some obvious dog-like personality traits. She WILL bring back a toy if you throw it at her (after she plays with it for a while), and she will come when called.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I am gone 10-11 hours a day (work plus 1+ hour commute each way). I've had two dogs. My house that I lived in at the time had a fenced back yard and a walk out basement. I installed a dog door , so the dog could go outside when it wanted to. The last dog was a 190 lbs Great Dane. The door was 3' tall and 2' wide. People would always ask if I worried about someone crawling through the door. I'd tell them that the door is obviously not for a poodle. He was a really sweet dog and probably would have slept through a burglary.
I have a 180/190 pound Dane as well.. Big Black Great Dane who loves to bark.. that deep booming woof kinda bark that scares the crap out of strangers. The reality is, if you crawled through a doggie door, he would just lick you to death.. completely harmless.

The Dalmatian on the other hand, he would rip you to shreds. (Dalmatian Lab mix on paper, but in reality is mixed with something else.. stupid breed specific laws). Best dog ever to friends families and kids, not so much with strange adults.

As to the OP, don't get a dog. They typically need to go out 5 to 10 times a day (varies by dog and breed), but they need to pee a lot, and in my Danes case.. poop a lot too :) They also need attention, they are not like cats, you get a dog, it's for life, and that dog becomes your needy child. They want love and affection, else you end up with a mean grumpy dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This has been said already, but I'm a huge dog guy and I wanna pile on. :)

In my opinion, to adequately care for a dog requires a significant investment of time. If you really don't have time to properly care for a dog, then just don't get a dog right now. I've got five people in my house, and a 130 lb. female Great Dane. My wife works from home most of the time, and the kids come home after school. She's hardly ever alone, and when we go out of town, I break down her ginormous crate and take her to my dad's house.

She's only two years old. This is because I only recently was able to arrange for there to be people here so that she could be properly cared for. I'm glad we waited until we had the right circumstances so that getting a dog would be a happy experience for all involved.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The last lady friend was really into cats. I made it very clear that I wasn't; I guess this as a bigger problem than I thought it should've been.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I was always a dog person, never cared for cats, till I had a mush all black feline fellow wander into our lives. 30 years and 8 cats later, plus time spent sitting dogs, I'll always have cats and will never get a dog. Still love dogs too.

Don't get a cat either. They too, respond to time spent with them, plus love and tons of affection. Cats though, will not respond if there's no give. They'll be perfectly happy if you just feed them and clean the litter box, maybe scratch their head twice a day and then they'll be stand-off-ish as they are known to be. Dogs DEMAND attention, but easily give it back.

I've never had a cat not respond and not become a mush. Never had a stand/off'ish cat. Granted that dogs are mushes from the get go typically, cats you have to work at and with, but just as rewarding with returned affection IMO.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I have not had much luck with this suggestion.
It's funny to me that at my age all the single women have dogs.

And I've learned a couple of things: 1. If the dog doesn't instantly love you just get up and leave. Without that canine seal of approval you're dog doo doo.
2. You may think she's the love of your life but you'll never be as important to her as that dog. Understandable as they give unconditional love and devotion while you...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts