Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
jorbenweb said:
The cost to have it spayed or neutered plus a small donation to the Humane Society.

Yes.

Ditto. The only people who charge the kind of money in the OP are breeders.

G

·
real stonie said:
What would you pay for a dog you really wanted? Is $1150 a lot?
Nope.

As long as it from a registered kennel with a good history that you can check out.

Trace back through the lineage of the litter for problems.

If it is from a pet store - then yes it is too much. Way too much.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
real stonie said:
What would you pay for a dog you really wanted?
I've never had a dog that wasn't from a shelter of some sort...
Is $1150 a lot?

I guess that depends on your income, but, there are millions of dogs that need a home, and are available for no more than 50 bucks, so yes, I think 1150 is a lot....

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
With all the dogs and cats in shelters, I can't think of paying for one as anything but unethical, bordering on immoral.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have a lab that my wife got me for my birhday 6 years ago. I nearly flipped when she told me how much she paid for it. It was $400 - 500 or so - I grew up with mutts that people gave away.
This dog rocks. Mother was a show dog, father was a search and rescue dog. She is so well behaved, easy to care for, intelligent, etc. I have friends who have high-maintenance/not-so-bright dogs and am very thankful she paid the money and got our dog.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I concur with all of you. Two weeks ago we had to put our 12 year old lab to sleep and have started to search for a new pup. We want an indoor dog this time and found a particular breed the 4 of us really like. I called a few folks who have advertised the breed and the last call yielded an $1150 price tag. I was polite, but ran from the conversation. I think petfinder.com (a shelter search engine) is my best route.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Val_Garou said:
With all the dogs and cats in shelters, I can't think of paying for one as anything but unethical, bordering on immoral.
Yep, I'm hoping to get a dog from here in a couple of years. Our last cat from a shelter cost $150 though, I thought that was pretty pricey but he's great.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Val_Garou said:
We've had more than one shelter dog...........every one had either severe health issues or behavioral problems. We've started calling them "Other people's problems"

Now we go to a reputable breeder of the type of dog we want, check back through breed history for genetic problems and buy a puppy.

You may call it immoral & unethical but I want a dog, not a project.......

len

BTW, to the OP, depending on the breed & the breeder, that # is not unheard of.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
My brother just bought pick of the litter from a top national breeder of viszlas for 1000.

Do I think it is a lot? Yep

You can buy a dog that will look better, hunt better, act better, and be healthier if you do your research and focus in on the qualities you want. If you just want a healthy friendly pet you can get what you want at the pound.

The cheapest part of owning a dog is the cost of buying the dog. If you take care of a dog, you are going to have way over 5k in the cost to keep it for it's lifetime.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
for 1150 I'll sell you my dog...................

G

·
real stonie said:
I concur with all of you. Two weeks ago we had to put our 12 year old lab to sleep and have started to search for a new pup. We want an indoor dog this time and found a particular breed the 4 of us really like. I called a few folks who have advertised the breed and the last call yielded an $1150 price tag. I was polite, but ran from the conversation. I think petfinder.com (a shelter search engine) is my best route.
You didn't say the part about looking for an "indoor dog".

There are certain breeds that are currently "hot". They are largely, what my wife refers to as field goals.

The prices for those are out of this world - because they can get it.

Our dog is an English Springer. The breeder is registered. They gave us complete family trees from both sides of the family so that we could trace them back, contact info for owners of other dogs from their kennel, contact info for owners of ancestors. They gave us contact info for breeders and vets for both sides of the family tree back about 3 generations so that we could check back all the way.

We paid about $1100 for the puppy but he is probably the nicest dog we have ever had. Gentle, mild-mannered, healthy, good with the kids, very intelligent , etc ................

I don't begrudge the money, they are a business and he is part of the family.

I had a Bassett Hound that was rescue. During his too short life, I paid the vet $11,000 for treatments, surgeries, etc. I really loved that dog.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
Henry Porter said:
Yep, I'm hoping to get a dog from here in a couple of years. Our last cat from a shelter cost $150 though, I thought that was pretty pricey but he's great.
Even that is steep,. The Resident Feline here came from a (good) local shelter here for $90- neutered, litter-trained, has a tracking chip is his shoulder, all vaccinations current-for a beautiful healthy cat that has a good personality.

No one here is probably suggesting just going out and buying the 1st hound that is too cute for words from the 1st shelter they go to. It takes thought and looking around, and knowing what one is looking for. But one need not spend $500-1000 to get a family friend.

·
COMER
604 Posts
Our goldendoodle costs $2500 and there is a long waiting list. He's a great dog, well that price was four years ago, worth every penny. My lab cost $500 she's a great dog. I do have three rescued cats.

Both dogs still cheaper than my S3 frameset.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
spudbiker said:
We have a lab that my wife got me for my birhday 6 years ago. I nearly flipped when she told me how much she paid for it. It was $400 - 500 or so - I grew up with mutts that people gave away.
This dog rocks. Mother was a show dog, father was a search and rescue dog. She is so well behaved, easy to care for, intelligent, etc. I have friends who have high-maintenance/not-so-bright dogs and am very thankful she paid the money and got our dog.
I certainly hope you don't believe that you got a "good dog" simply because you paid for it????

"Show dog" in the pedigree is not necessarily a good thing when you're looking for a family pet.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Henry Porter said:
A friend of a Great Dane is a friend of mine. My first dog was a blue merl (sp?) Dane when I was 4 years old. The dog that all others will have to measure against. I can't wait to get done with school and get to a place I can get another.

I went from Great Dane to Jack Russell if you can imagine! Both are awesome breeds.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts