Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What do you do if a dog attacks or chases?

Common responses are:
-outrun them-maybe, if you have are at the beginning of a ride hopefully on the downhill.
-squirt them with water. At ride speed, you have a great water bottle, great aim and don’t crash.
-use a spray. Great if spray does not blow back on you.
-Yell at them. And yell what words?
-what about the other riders in a group ride?

Post event:

File some sort of report with someone who has a reporting system?
Talk to the owner. That’s dicey. Can you find them? Are they wackey?

I am curious as I am trying to rethink what I would do. As they say, “those that have, those that will”.

Cheers

Bicycle helmet Bicycle Sky Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
The best thing to do is stop and spray them with mace. Tell them to "go home" first, if they ignore that let them have it.
I've call the police before, they will not do anything.
The owners are clueless.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I find that a loud "NO" will sometimes work, seems to be universal dog language. Also, if the dogs come out in front of you, take the offensive and start charging towards them. That tactic really does work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been chased by several loose dogs, and a squirt in the face from the water bottle has worked every time, The water bottle is right at hand and does not harm the dog, as opposed to some type of repellant spray that you might keep in your back pocket and probably has some type of protective cap.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
while riding on a farm-to-market road, my buddy and I were chased by a large, aggressive mongrel. the dog was a complete nutjob and seemed intent on doing some serious harm.

the owner, who was standing in his yard watching the whole event, eventually called his beast off. my partner decided to speak to him about the issue. before my friend could even start the conversation, the good ol' boy threatened to shoot him if he 'trespassed' again...

apparently, the moron thought he owned the county road as well as his property.

so, expecting an owner to do anything about an unleashed animal is probably not going to be productive.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Outriding the dog might just reinforce their behavior, but if it saves you from harm, do it.

Hollering at the dog is free and doesn't harm the dog. Squirting with water is cheap and often effective. If you choose to use Mace and worry about blowback, buy a product with a gel composition; it will eliminate or limit blowback. If you're lucky enough to carry a full-size frame pump, play Dog Polo. I've done this, twice. Cost me a pump each time. Dog didn't question my authority afterwards.

Absent the above, stop and put the bike between you and the dog, then holler at the dog until they tire and go away. This might result in good behavior modification.

It's necessary to have a multi-pronged, escalating series of options as no single approach works in all instances. And it doesn't hurt to practice these approaches in the order of your choice, so they become automatic.

If the dog is chronically loose, contact you local Animal Control Officer, usually part of the police department . If you can video tape the dog being loose/chasing, you'll have iron clad evidence for the ACO/police. Talking to the owner; they'll mostly likely listen to the authorities but not to you. If the ACO and the owner refuse to do something about it, you unfortunately may have to take matters in to your own hands.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
This is a huge problem for me, but it’s generally mtb specific in my case. I don’t often have issues on the road. But if I head to the woods or beach it’s awful. As soon as some people enter the woods or step onto the sand they take their leashes off. Being on a bike they will often chase me... in about half the instances the dog is playful and owner will re-leash. The other half are total azzhat owners. They will be rude or say, he’s OK don’t worry. On the beaches other dog owners, especially little dogs, just pick them up and leave, sometimes telling the owner why. I will try the water bottle... I don’t have a particularly good solution. It’s so common I’ll do a cold road ride instead sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,739 Posts
I find that a loud "NO" will sometimes work, seems to be universal dog language. Also, if the dogs come out in front of you, take the offensive and start charging towards them. That tactic really does work.
I did this once, and it worked so well, the dog froze, and I ran over him.

Miraculously, I did not dump (it was a Lab-sized mongrel).

He never chased me again.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,341 Posts
Many dog owners shouldn't be dog owners. Many are very negligent.
Dogs are peedator animals and therefore are triggered by fast moving objects. It's the run-chase instinct. It is the owners responsibility to be aware of this and control this behavior. Unfortunately, there are too many owners who either don't care or think it's funny and entertaining to see their dog chase people.

I don't know how successful the dog horns are. Has anybody used one? Squirting a water bottle wouldn't work for me. If I was in a dog induced panic, I would probably drop the bottle.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
if encountering loose dogs is an issue, or if you're on the country road a lot,... I'd carry a screwdriver. Nothing stops a dog better than screwdriver to its lungs. Carry a screwdriver is legal, right?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My riding buddy will entice a dog to his left side near the centerline hoping for an oncoming vehicle while the dog chases on the left.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,268 Posts
I have had luck with "Good dog!"

Identifies you as human, and kind of confuses them for a bit.

Is it 100%? No.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
You tell others in your group "Good Dog!", then they ride the other way. Works everytime.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts