Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this year.
Advice, other than lots of hill training? War stories, what is it like?

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Only 3

ringroadwarrior said:
this year.
Advice, other than lots of hill training? War stories, what is it like?
Well my recollection from two years ago is there were only three real climbs, just like advertised. Other than that you are either in the valley or on the ridgeline. We did just fine on our tandem and saw another guy riding it on his fixed gear. My only caution would be to exercise care on the descents. Usually a few morons stack it up in the ditch trying to imitate their heros on the descent (note the roads are not closed so you have to stay in your lane). If you want to impress people with how fast you are then pass them on the climbs. Great ride, well organized event.

·
go up
648 Posts
A great area to ride in; take a little time to look around while you're riding, if possible. I live in the area and love riding here. Last years 3s3m there seemed to be more crazies (trash tossing, riding out of the lanes on the decents, etc). Lots of people but it is well organized, the start does not seem too bad and the SAGs are fine.

If you're doing the 100. . . 103 miles with just over 7000 ft of climbing from three main climbs, Suck Creek, Sand and Lookout (Burkhalter gap) . The last climb is the toughest of the three and there are several nice rollers to finish off your legs within the 5 miles or so after. The first finishers hit just under the 5 hour mark and riders continue to come in all day long.

If you do the metric, it is right at 63 miles and follows the same route as the 100 for the first 40 or so miles. It takes in one of the main climbs (Suck Creek mtn.). First finishers under 3 hours.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Also, check chattbike.com if you have not already.

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their website is very informative....

deadlegs said:
A great area to ride in; take a little time to look around while you're riding, if possible. I live in the area and love riding here. Last years 3s3m there seemed to be more crazies (trash tossing, riding out of the lanes on the decents, etc). Lots of people but it is well organized, the start does not seem too bad and the SAGs are fine.

If you're doing the 100. . . 103 miles with just over 7000 ft of climbing from three main climbs, Suck Creek, Sand and Lookout (Burkhalter gap) . The last climb is the toughest of the three and there are several nice rollers to finish off your legs within the 5 miles or so after. The first finishers hit just under the 5 hour mark and riders continue to come in all day long.

If you do the metric, it is right at 63 miles and follows the same route as the 100 for the first 40 or so miles. It takes in one of the main climbs (Suck Creek mtn.). First finishers under 3 hours.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Also, check chattbike.com if you have not already.
Just trying to get some first hand knowledge of the event and what it is really like.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yep. Great ride. I've done it 2x and each was a real good ride. Take the other's advice; look around,especially after climbing the 2nd climb-you ride across a ridge with a beautiful view. As for training; gear down if you need to and take it easy on the 1st climb. It's the easiest and the temptation is to fly up it only to burn yourself out for the 2 more difficult climbs to follow.

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know the grades (%) of the climbs?

Kram59 said:
Yep. Great ride. I've done it 2x and each was a real good ride. Take the other's advice; look around,especially after climbing the 2nd climb-you ride across a ridge with a beautiful view. As for training; gear down if you need to and take it easy on the 1st climb. It's the easiest and the temptation is to fly up it only to burn yourself out for the 2 more difficult climbs to follow.
The first one they say is very long. How much harder are the other 2?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Check out their website. It used to have the topo map of the climbs w/ grades, I believe.

·
go up
648 Posts
The first climb may be a little longer (I don't know about that) but it's still an average climb for the area and it never gets too steep. It is near enough to the start as to have large groups on the way up which creates some danger when you head down the other side.

The second climb is part of the "Alabama-pave" section of the ride; rough roads but less traffic, and the large groups have thinned out nicely by this point. A couple short, steeper sections on this climb but again, nothing awful.

The third climb is a normal climb for the area but the last 100 yards or so can hurt, a lot, especially after you have 80 miles in your legs. And then there are a few good little hills to climb before dropping off the mountain to the finish.

There is a ride profile on the website.

I'm an old man so I do this one with a 53/39 and a 12x27 cassette. Been finishing in 5:10 range lately. Some folks are fine with less teeth, ?x23 or even ?x21, but I think that's crazy; although I do train each seperately with a 12x23.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Skip the organized ride...

Just skip the whole organized ride thing, and just go and ride the route. For one, you don't have to pay for use of a public road, and for 2, you won't have to deal with all of the idiots that come out for these things.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I've done it in like 5'30" and I've used a 12x27 and the 2nd time a 12x25 w/ a 34t compact ring up front. 2nd time I was older and (more) slower!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts