Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend I was up in the Alta Badia region of the Dolomites to participate in the "MARATONA Dles DOLOMITES". This is a granfondo which is extremely popular, all 8,000 + spots fill up fast....the first day of registration (see www.maratona.it)!

The roads are closed to all traffic; I never saw a single auto, motorcycle, or any other vehicle on the event roads other than official vehicles. Pretty amazing in itself. The event was very well organized.

The ride start was at 0615 and everyone had to be at the starting grid by 0555. I had had breakfast at 0430 (ouch) and was on the road at 0500 to get to the start early enough to get a good position in my starting grid. The sunrise was just lighing up the "pale" mountain peaks. It was cold, 9C at the start but as soon as you started climbing you had to rip your layers off only to put something back on the descents during the early morning hours.

The beauty of Alta Badia is stunning. Riding through passes made famous in the Giro d' Italia was a memorable experience; perhaps leg breaking would be a better description.

RBRer botto was there also and posted his ride report in ther General Discussion board, his photos are better: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=65423

Some downsized photos from my Cannon SD500:

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
merckxman - did you stay in corvara?

btw - the sd-500 is a great camera, it's what i've got too :wink:

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I did

Would definitely go back if I get into the Maratona next year.

SD500 is great but I'm having some difficulties downsizing my photos to post here and I loose a lot of detail.

botto said:
merckxman - did you stay in corvara?

btw - the sd-500 is a great camera, it's what i've got too :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.