Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
archaeologists found no remains showing cannibalistic behavior where they were. (They broke down about 6 miles from the Alder Creek group where cannibalism did occur.
Donner name cleared. So now when you hear the name Donner, don't think Good eatin'

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why I love Science

cause they keep developing and questioning even what they think they know. Donner survivors have always claimed "Our Kin didn't" now it's basically been confirmed. So will we rename it the "Alder Creek Party, the Donners were okay"?

my brother is one of the arch's

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Hardly

Read the article. Scientists didn't find any evidence of cooked bones at their camp, but there are reasonable explanations for that. All they really discovered is that bones were not burned or boiled along with the flesh, and they can't even be sure of that. After all, the events in question happened 150 years ago, and the site is in a place with extreme weather, hardly preserving the evidence. None of this would stand up in court.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
atpjunkie said:
it is the nothingness of the find. the other cannibalism site had remains. the Donner site had cooked human remains,in the thousands of cooked bones they found not one was human. so unless they de-boned their people or ate them raw there would be some sign of it. those 2 scenarios are highly unlikely, enough to say there's no proof they did.
blaming the conditions doesn't stand as heaps of cooked animal bones remain.

so without evidence to convict them of it how could it? or are you saying they've already been convicted and have to prove their innocence?
You are overreaching in your conclusions. From one of the authors of the study:

"It's possible no cannibalism took place at Alder Creek, and it's also possible that proof simply can't be found," said Julie Schablitsky, a University of Oregon anthropologist. "No body doesn't necessarily mean no crime."

Also:

The absence of human bones does not mean the Donner clan did not resort at some point to cannibalism at Alder Creek in the last few weeks before the last survivors were rescued, Schablitsky said. She said the most likely explanation for the absence of human bone was that flesh and organs might have been eaten, but the bodies were not hacked down to the bone. soil.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really

it is the nothingness of the find. the other cannibalism site had remains. the Donner site had cooked human remains,in the thousands of cooked bones they found not one was human. so unless they de-boned their people or ate them raw there would be some sign of it. those 2 scenarios are highly unlikely, enough to say there's no proof they did.
blaming the conditions doesn't stand as heaps of cooked animal bones remain.

so without evidence to convict them of it how could it? or are you saying they've already been convicted and have to prove their innocence?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
am I overstepping counselor?

The sawed and chopped animal bone fragments, recovered during an archaeological dig over the past three years, do suggest "extreme desperation and starvation," the study said. One of the animals eaten was a pet dog _ presumably "Uno," mentioned in some of the children's later writings.

The findings by Schablitsky and Kelly Dixon, an assistant professor of anthropology at the University of Montana, don't necessarily disprove the accounts of cannibalism told by rescuers and survivors stranded in a fierce winter storm in the mountains southwest of Reno and north of Truckee, Calif.

If cannibalism did occur at the Alder Creek site, in what is now the Tahoe National Forest, bones were not burned or boiled along with the flesh, the authors said. Such bones endure in the ground a very long time, while unburned or unboiled bones turn to dust in a relatively short time.

"We thought for sure based on all the accounts in the diaries and the relief journals and people's memories that among the other animal bones, we'd definitely find other human remains" at Alder Creek, Schablitsky said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "So the most significant find is really what we didn't find."

wouldn't the burden of proof be on proving they did?

so they have proof that it did occur at the other site. none here ,which means again, they ate the flesh raw or deboned it before cooking (both unlikely given the circumstances). otherwise there should have been fragments. Not definitive, but again I think the Burden of Proof is in your court.

I'll chat with my brother about it and see what he thinks. (he's on the dig)

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
All I'm saying is that you cleared them, when the truth is still that we just don't know. In court, you would win due to lack of evidence. From a scientific standpoint, it's not a done deal.

I know that if I were freezing, starving and decided to eat someone, I'm not going to take the time or effort to break any bones. Why bother? I'm taking out my knife and slicing off a chunk of flesh.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well we are in agreement then

as I agree they aren't completely in the clear.

though your scenario is a tad extreme, you make it sound like a quick emergency.
even the soccer players in Alive cooked their food. but if you, just say, sliced off a slab of glute and cooked it up there'd be no evidence which I'm guessing is what you are inferring. but these folks cooked for a group, which like the other site,if people were cooked, bone frags should have shown upwith the animals.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
I'd like to set-up a Donner Pass restaurant, and have all the dishes play off the cannibalism theme.

- Grandma Chicken Noodle Soup
- Sir, is that your loin Steak
- Chicken Cordone Lou
- BLT (Benny, Larry and Ted)
- Pasta Prima Mama
- Frenchman Fries

etc...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and don't forget

pass the Green Beings!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how about a T_Shirt

I froze my A$$ off and Ate my Family and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt

Coop we could make a fortune

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
already on it.

I'm thinking of knocking off the Abercrombie and Fitch Camp Tee knock offs. ya know green ringer (green heather body, green collar and sleeve caps) and a one color with faux aging. Snowy Cabin with Lake in the background, very peaceful like with that header below.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts