Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On the same note, there's one intersection that I go through daily at work where I have seen on a few occasions someone will ride up to the red, look around and then run it. Its a very busy intersection as well :rolleyes:, way to make us all look bad...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
See this all the time. I commute almost daily. If not on a daily basis, I see it at least 3 times a week. Always what you would call a casual cyclist or just someone with a bike. If not something stupid like that, it will be someone riding against traffic. Yeah, there are a lot of idiots in Austin. Of course a normal driver wont distinguish the idiots and the serious cyclists. To them we are all the same.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Damn, he must be delirious from the ride or something. That's a wide road to cross at the very last second.

Around here, there's some lag time after the red, but not enough to cross several lanes.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
He's lucky all he got was a ticket. He could have easily wound up dead with that maneuver. Dope!

Yep, makes us all look bad. Worse yet, I pity the motorist who clips him and then has to live with that on his conscience.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Damn, he must be delirious from the ride or something. That's a wide road to cross at the very last second.

Around here, there's some lag time after the red, but not enough to cross several lanes.
The kid probably thought he'd make the light. He was a little too late. Nice maneuver he did to avoid being hit by the car! He was paying attention!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I suspect most cyclists don't comply perfectly with the law and rules of the road, but we should strive for substantial compliance.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
every day I commute to work on the fwy, and I notice almost every single car around me, including my own, is going above the speed limit of 55 mph. And every day I see cars making right turn at red light without actually stopping for 3 seconds as required by the law. Not to mention texting and holding their phone talking. Hardly a blip of one driver kindly reminding another driver not to speed, or run the red, or not to text. Not one. So why are cyclists so hell bent on pointing out a cyclist running a red? Holier than thou stuff.

Wake me up when a cyclist running a red kill a driver on a daily basis. Until then, I shall slap this cyclist on his wrist for endangering his own life. It's his life if he so chooses to test Darwin's theory.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What you all may or may not know was that was in Davie Florida (Fort Lauderdale suburb). Riding a bike ANYWHERE in Broward or Dade counties is a serious gamble to begin with. As it is, Darwinism will likely correct for this type of judgement in short order. It does down there even for those being more prudent.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
And every day I see cars making right turn at red light without actually stopping for 3 seconds as required by the law.
I don't know what state you live in, but this 3 second rule is a new one on me. A complete stop is the law as far as I know. A couple of years ago, I was bagged by a red light cam for doing a rolling stop on red. The town sent me a mail summons with an internet link to a video clip of my car. There was no grey area, I broke the law. $85 and no points was a small price considering the violation.

So why are cyclists so hell bent on pointing out a cyclist running a red? Holier than thou stuff.
Here again, no grey area. This guy blatantly blew through a red light in a very dangerous situation.

While there will always be a few exceptions, most police officers will give people the benefit of the doubt. There are those who say a complete stop at a stop sign means one toe on the ground. I have never seen anything official on that, only hearsay and various blogs and forums. I was on a ride where two cyclists were stopped for running a stop sign. The officer there said unclipping is unnecessary. "As long as you slow to a crawl and look both ways, that's good enough for me" he said.

The key word is blatant. Why are we "hell bent" or "holier than thou"? For one, riders like this one make us all look like a-holes.

Would you drive your car like that?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Wake me up when a cyclist running a red kill a driver on a daily basis. Until then, I shall slap this cyclist on his wrist for endangering his own life. It's his life if he so chooses to test Darwin's theory.

This sums it up perfectly. And you never hear about the constant transgressions of drivers, even though they kill constantly. This just in: Truck Driver Arrested After Fatally Striking Cyclist In Bushwick: Gothamist

Here's video evidence of what *cyclists* have to put up with from drivers: Bike Commute Video: Canal Street Chaos & Manhattan Bridge Mayhem: Gothamist

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I suspect most cyclists don't comply perfectly with the law and rules of the road, but we should strive for substantial compliance.
And how do you propose to do that? Right now no cyclist needs to pass a test to get a license. Heck, there's no age limit either. So why should people be surprised that cyclists are all over the map on the choices they make? Who's teaching them? - Nobody.

The fact of the matter is that every cyclist is making it up on their own in how to ride safely. IMO, very few people make decisions to be non-compliant with the laws because they want to be "elitest", rather they mostly make those decisions because they don't think the non-compliant behavior is any big deal, and in their minds it is safe. Sure, most of us here on this message board would disagree with their choices. But again, how are they going to learn?

As far as the cops enforcing compliance, largely they really don't care. Maybe they see it as a nuisance, but it's not a major public safety issue. The ones taking ALL the risks are the cyclists themselves most of the time.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
IMO, very few people make decisions to be non-compliant with the laws because they want to be "elitest", rather they mostly make those decisions because they don't think the non-compliant behavior is any big deal.....
Rather they mostly make those decisions because they feel the risk of getting caught is minimal.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
This sums it up perfectly. And you never hear about the constant transgressions of drivers, even though they kill constantly. This just in: Truck Driver Arrested After Fatally Striking Cyclist In Bushwick: Gothamist

Here's video evidence of what *cyclists* have to put up with from drivers: Bike Commute Video: Canal Street Chaos & Manhattan Bridge Mayhem: Gothamist
This is why I don't cycle in NYC. And I don't think bike lanes that run next to parked cars do cyclists any service other than making riding in the city even more dangerous.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Just think of the revenue if the cops would ticket the cars instead of the cyclists. It would also crack down on the actual problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts