Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good buddy of mine (long-time cyclist and fellow Lardbutt) is an editor for one of AARP's magazines. He does short video pieces as well. This one is pretty good: what do you call people who are over 50? Should you even give them a label? Do they identify with any of the more-common nicknames? ("Baby boomer: simultaneously too infantile and too explosive.") Bonus: hamonica music.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid68226303001?bctid=221196912001

[I can't get the video to embed...a link will have to do]

·
Custom User Title
359 Posts
I'll be 51 this year. i don't think i'm middle aged as i doubt i'll be to 102.
I don't consider myself a boomer thought my dad served in WW2; most of my dad's of my friends my age did not.
I do enjoy the discounts i'm starting to pick up.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i'm waiting for all the old folks to die so i can enjoy a National Park without having to deal with their "entitlement" issues. seriously, you don't need to drive a 60 foot long RV to enjoy the vistas. let him rant about that, pops. hehehe.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
asciibaron said:
i'm waiting for all the old folks to die so i can enjoy a National Park without having to deal with their "entitlement" issues. seriously, you don't need to drive a 60 foot long RV to enjoy the vistas. let him rant about that, pops. hehehe.
Just get more than 25' from any parking lot, unlike 99.44% of park visitors. Plenty of space out there.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
There's a local guy who is mentally challenged (a victim of FAS, a sad and very common problem in this area) who, when asked his name, will say "I'm Boomer". The next time you see him and say "How's it going Boomer?", he'll make an angry face and yell "Don't call me Boomer!". Completely irrelevant to this thread but it popped into my head as soons as I saw the title.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
what do you call people who are over 50?
I'm actually called "Sir" quite a bit now. Must be the gray hair. :D I'm okay with that.

·
I drank what?
3,229 Posts
Remind me, at what age are people turned into soylent green?

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
My wife was born in 1964 and we read somewhere that 1964 was the last year for the boomers to be born. I was born 2 years later....so I make fun of her being a boomer and that she really robbed the cradle when she married me! And you know what? Sleeping on the couch isn't too bad once you get used to it. :D

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Chain said:
I'm actually called "Sir" quite a bit now. Must be the gray hair. :D I'm okay with that.
It's ok, I'm just over 40 and I get that too. My hair started getting a few grays in highschool and it's pretty much complete now. The lady who cuts it tells me "just be glad it's the dark silver gray" but that doesn't make it less gray. If my hair is covered, people usually think I'm younger than I am. When it's not covered, they sometimes think I'm older than I am. Neither is enough to make me color it.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I'm turning 50 in about 6 weeks. The day before my birthday I will be finishing a 14 day 1100 mile bike tour from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon and back. I know women 10 year younger than me who look and act 20 years older. Both my grandmothers are still alive and feisty at 95 and about to be 96. The 95 year old's older sister just passed away a week before her 105th birthday. So yeah, I'd consider myself "middle-aged."

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
The damn boy scouts keep wanting to help me to cross the street. I don't even want to cross the street.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
kykr13 said:
Just get more than 25' from any parking lot, unlike 99.44% of park visitors. Plenty of space out there.
i can't get to the parking lot! this happened to us last year in the Smokies - every pull off had some jacktard in a rolling McMansion that couldn't park it to save the planet. i am not one to hang out near the roads, but you have to park the car some place legal and near a potty for the wife and kids.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Dam whippersnappers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts