Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was almost home from a 90 miler up and over to the coast and back and a car passed me with a bike on top. I checked out the bike and saw him pull into his driveway.

I wondered, 'why is this guy driving his bike around when he has good access to good cycling roads. He is just another exhaust pipe.'

Then I saw his garage open and he was still inching forward. I yelled out, but it was useless. I saw the roof racked bike hit the garage and the whole assembly yeild a foot.

Ooops. Maybe he should of taking his bike on a bike ride, not the car?

This is not the bike, but this is a example of what can happen. If you work in a bike shop you see a lot of these. Any be careful of roof racks.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
This has happened to me. Twice. In both cases my wife was driving but I was in the car so we were both at fault. Both times we were distracted/excited by some good news and forgot that we had even been biking. It's become a custom for us to now announce that we remember the bikes as soon as we turn the corner toward our house.

The first time the insurance company bought me a new $650 suspension fork for my mtb. The second time my vintage Control Tech seatpost got bent and my 15yr old WTB saddle got all tore up (I'm still using it with some duct tape).

Luckily no frame damage.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
ouch.

every year at the Bluff City Blues 100 someone does that entering the parking garage by Beale St. Hopefully not this year since they moved it to Mud Island.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Tom Kellogg recommends putting your garage door remote in the trunk so you catch yourself. Something hanging from the mirror or around the remote also helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's what I do - when you back the car out of the garage - put a ladder or something in the way so you can't pull your car into the garage. All of our cars have the Homelink console mounted garage door opener buttons so hiding the remote won't work. But if something is actually preventing you from pulling the car into the garage you can't/won't - no bent bikes.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Get two 12" pieces of 1/4 inch chain, 2 3/4 inch screws, 2 one inch long bolts, 2 nuts, 2 washers, one 10 inch X 10 inch white board, and 1 large black marking pen.

Measure out two holes in the garage door reinforcement pieces on the back of the garage door eight inches apart about dead center with where you enter the garage with your car. Put screws through ends of chain. Screw into holes in garage door reinforcement piece. Take white board. Write "Bike is on Rack Stupid!!" in large easy to read lettering. Drill two holes on top edge of white board above the writing eight inches apart and attach to opposite ends of attached chain with bolts, washers, and nuts. Make sure that the lettering is facing toward the bottom of the garage door and outward towards outdoors! Now when garage door is open the sign will be hanging right in front of your face. If you still run into the garage with your bikes you deserve it.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
TnFeltRider said:
How about a sign on garage door," BIKE ON ROOF"?

yakima used to make something like this- it was a yellow sign on a sprring attached to a magnet, which you put on your hood.

at speed, the sign layed down on your hood. as soon as you stopped, it popped back up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I need to take my bike for a ride I . . .
1. put it in the car (best MPGs this way ) or
2. I have a Thule T2 hitch rack (no lifting it on the roof or taking off a wheel)

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Hitch rack FTW.

(My SUV is too tall for a roof rack. I'd need a ladder to get them up.)

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I have seen far to many people suffer from the I forgot it was on the roof syndrome. I will never own a roof rack because of this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I put a cone in front of where I park every time I take the bike out. In fact, I put the cone on the seat of the bike so I don't forget to stand it in the garage before I leave.

Pull in, cone in the way, get out to move it, and notice the bike on the car!

·
Registered
531 Posts
brandtw said:
Here's what I do - when you back the car out of the garage - put a ladder or something in the way so you can't pull your car into the garage. All of our cars have the Homelink console mounted garage door opener buttons so hiding the remote won't work. But if something is actually preventing you from pulling the car into the garage you can't/won't - no bent bikes.

This!! Putting something in the way that makes you physically get out of the car to move it works best.

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Hit a parking garage

Probably 15 years ago, ready to return to PA from vacation on the Outer Banks, wife and I entered a parking garage with 4 bikes on the roof of a mid-size wagon, totaled an old AMF 10 speed (good riddance) and an old Sears 3 speed. The kids mtn bikes of better quality survived with no issues. Destroyed the bike rack, collapsed the car roof somewhat and blew out the rear window and darn near totaled the car (it had some miles). Was pretty much just getting into riding at that point in time and after that started riding higher quality units. Funny thing is, the LBS owner said it happens all the time, and most men blame it on the wives.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
AtlantaR6 said:
I put a cone in front of where I park every time I take the bike out. In fact, I put the cone on the seat of the bike so I don't forget to stand it in the garage before I leave.

Pull in, cone in the way, get out to move it, and notice the bike on the car!
I do this too. Works great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brad the Bold said:
Hitch rack FTW.

(My SUV is too tall for a roof rack. I'd need a ladder to get them up.)
+1

I'd need a ladder everytime otherwise. My college roomate screwed up his bike, rack, and car by doing this once. Oh boy was he pissed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts