Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ordered a 2010 model, anyway. It's for my wife, meaning she will be the primary one infuriating a row of vehicles behind her. She presently drives like an old lady with a POS Pontiac company car, so why not get her a car where she can do it smugly.

Here's a link to what it looks like - > http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/

We test drove a variety of '09 cars of the high mpg type. My woman does not always seek practical solutions. Nor economical ones. She bases decisions on "the cool factor." She dismissed some cars as too small (Mini Cooper), too cheap (anything American), too gutless (Versa), or too racy (Mazda3 or Matrix). I know some of you reading this drive one of these cars! I liked 'em all, but you can't argue with this woman!

Finalists were the Honda Fit, Honda Insight, and Toyota Prius. The acid test was to drive it up some hills, since we live in that kind of terrain. The Hondas - amazing cars, actually - both lacked the punch of an '09 Prius. Imagine that. We simulated driving conditions with the two of us, the salesman, and our youngest son as ballast. And, the new Prius comes with more horsepower and bigger engine, but better gas mileage. Not a big deal with $2.50/gallon gasoline, but a potential factor if it climbs toward five bucks.

Sorry, Honda Insight. The current Prius already bests your spiffy new model. It will be no contest when the new Prius arrives in a few weeks. You have my sympathies.

Oh, and my bike will fit in the back, laid down with the wheels on. Not that you will see me out driving it or anything. :idea: :nono:

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I thought you said you bought a Paris and I was about to say "Why not a Prince?"

But that doesn't make any sense now, so I'll just say: Firstest!

joe

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Solar roof!??! That's f'n cool!!! Now I want to trade my '06 in for an '10. Damn...

Oh, and I probably could use the PCS feature, too...

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That solar roof and precool thing would be great here in the summer.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
Smug alert.

Cool little cars. Deadly silent. I've almost been hit twice.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
OldRoadGuy said:
Smug alert.

Cool little cars. Deadly silent. I've almost been hit twice.
By drivers driving too close, or because you moved into traffic without realizing they were there?

Always do a headcheck, even some cars that are not hybrids are pretty silent. I've been scared a number of times, and not by hybrids.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
vonteity said:
By drivers driving too close, or because you moved into traffic without realizing they were there?

Always do a headcheck, even some cars that are not hybrids are pretty silent. I've been scared a number of times, and not by hybrids.
On foot.:eek:

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
OldRoadGuy said:
Well heads up then... look both ways before you cross the street!

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
fast ferd said:
Not that you will see me out driving it or anything. :idea: :nono:

Wrongo Buddy. My wife sold the half-ton pick-up and bought a Prius. I was not thrilled, but :cryin: I won't drive it when she is around and I don't tell her to use the regenerative braking system, anymore. But when she is out of town, I love driving it. I like ot watch the MPG's, instant and overall and try to get them as high as possible. I also am mesmerized by the display of where the energy is coming from/ going too. Lots of neat nerd features. It is a good car for 4 people around town (going out) or 1 driving to work. I don't recommend taking it to Costco for shopping though :idea:

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Wow, I didn't know they were getting bigger engines, yet more MPG's. Sounds like a smart choice.

Be sure to put an FUH2 sticker on it to infuriate the H2 loozers out on the road.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
vonteity said:
Well heads up then... look both ways before you cross the street!
Between Bicycles and motorcycles I'm pretty aware but some
folks tend to push into my circle of trust.

Cool geek cars though.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'm currently driving a '08 Prius. I'm shocked by how well it moves along (it's a rental). The '10 would be seriously good. Haven't tried to throw my bike in it. Yet.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
give a review when you get it. when do they come out? i haven't seen a date. i'd like to check one out, but they don't have safety ratings yet either.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The hill pick up makes perfect sense.. Torque is what makes you feel like you are going torque is your friend.. and an electric motor has 100% of its torque at 0 RPM so it has a constant curve.. with the electric and gas motor you can easily pull away or up a hill with your added torque..

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
zyzbot said:
Have they solved the high cost of battery replacement with those cars? I was thinking about getting one a while back but then I happened upon an owner site in which people were telling their stories about $5,000+ battery replacement costs. Yikes!

Are they offering longer battery warranties now or helping out in any way with that?
last i heard the warranty was for 100k miles i thought.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
tomk96 said:
last i heard the warranty was for 100k miles i thought.
10 year warranty on the battery, from what I've been told. After 10 years, I think an expensive battery replacement isn't all that unreasonable. But, from what I've heard, the replacement batteries are more like $2-3k, not $5k. There is a lot of crap information out there, haters like to spread rumors to prove their non-factual point.

BTW, my '06 has 50k miles on it already.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, 8 yr/100k warranty on hybrid components. The word on the street is they usually see 150k on the batteries. And they do cost $3k to replace.

When they offer a plug-in hybrid option in a couple years, Toyota will switch to lithium ion batteries for that option. Evidently, that plug-in option will be co$tly.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
vonteity said:
BTW, my '06 has 50k miles on it already.
that's a lot of driving.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
tomk96 said:
that's a lot of driving.
I drive all over creation for races, which is why I went from my 22 mpg car to my 48-53 mpg Prius, depending on how leadfooted I drive and how much I draft 18-wheelers. I even got 67.something per gallon from Baltimore to the end of the GS Parkway once.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts