Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*sarcasm on* Next time that dog comes after you on the bike don't kick it or you might be arrested. Let it continue to attack you! *sarcasm off*
(BTW, I have a dog and am not sanctioning dog abuse but self protection.)
I don't know all the details but this sounds a bit crazy.

Poodle is paralyzed after kick from jogger
Originally published January 28, 2006​
Police are looking for a jogger who kicked a toy poodle so hard that it landed on the other side of an Edgewater street, leaving it paralyzed.
The 9-year-old, 4 1/2 -pound poodle named Jacquelyn was at a veterinary hospital in Annapolis yesterday, paralyzed from the neck down. It is unclear whether the paralysis is from structural damage or traumatic shock.

Witnesses told Anne Arundel County police that the jogger kicked the dog three times after it ran up to him barking and nipping at his heels just before 9 a.m.

Janice Tippett, the poodle's owner, told The Capital newspaper, "This guy is so bad. She did not deserve that. Neither me or her ever hurt anybody."

Tippett said she had opened the garage door to her townhouse just as the man jogged by and Jacquelyn ran out, barking.

Tippett said the man shoved Jacquelyn with his foot as the dog came up on his heels. Then he turned and kicked the animal and "stopped and did it again."

[Associated Press]

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Maybe...

zeytin said:
Next time that dog comes after you on the bike don't kick it or you might be arrested. Let it continue to attack you! I don't know all the details but this sounds a bit crazy.
(BTW, I have a dog and am not sanctioning dog abuse but self protection)

Police are looking for a jogger who kicked a toy poodle so hard that it landed on the other side of an Edgewater street, leaving it paralyzed.
The 9-year-old, 4 1/2 -pound poodle named Jacquelyn was at a veterinary hospital in Annapolis yesterday, paralyzed from the neck down. It is unclear whether the paralysis is from structural damage or traumatic shock.

Witnesses told Anne Arundel County police that the jogger kicked the dog three times after it ran up to him barking and nipping at his heels just before 9 a.m.

Janice Tippett, the poodle's owner, told The Capital newspaper, "This guy is so bad. She did not deserve that. Neither me or her ever hurt anybody."

Tippett said she had opened the garage door to her townhouse just as the man jogged by and Jacquelyn ran out, barking.

Tippett said the man shoved Jacquelyn with his foot as the dog came up on his heels. Then he turned and kicked the animal and "stopped and did it again."

[Associated Press]
I think that they should arrest the jackass owner for letting the dog run free. Keep your dog under control. I wouldn't hold anyone accountable for that, except for the owner, because when you boil it down, she is the root cause. Aren't there leash laws in Annapolis? I bet that there are since they are most everywhere. Stupid dog owners.

·
Banned
653 Posts
He has rights

I think the jogger or cyclist has a right to kick the dog back to defend themselves.
But, the authorities will not treat this jogger kindly, he applied too much force.

My point is, apply the right repelling force appropriate for the size and aggressiveness
of the animal.
If a German shepard, Doberman, pitbull, etc. comes after me, the dog is getting a square
kick right in the throat. I don't want rabies or fang marks on my bod.

Has anybody ever heard of hand-held high frequency device to repel dogs, kind of like the ones owners put on dog collars for behavior re-inforcement?

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Toy Poodle threatening ?????

.......what a wanker that guy is!........

zeytin said:
*sarcasm on* Next time that dog comes after you on the bike don't kick it or you might be arrested. Let it continue to attack you! *sarcasm off*
(BTW, I have a dog and am not sanctioning dog abuse but self protection.)
I don't know all the details but this sounds a bit crazy.

[Associated Press]

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an admission to make. I read the article so fast I missed the important part where they give the size of the dog; I thought it was a standard poodle.
Based on the overlooked evidence my opinion has changed...
The woman is an ass for letting an agressive (think Napoleon) dog loose
The jogger is an ass for overreacting to a small dog

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
magnolialover said:
Just because this dog was a poodle doesn't mean anything. Poodles, in my opinion, at least the toy ones, can be downright vicious, and their teeth are as sharp as any other dog's teeth, they might not be able to bit very hard, but let one latch onto your ankle, and see if you don't start kicking.
Small dogs in general can sometimes be the most vicious, thus my earlier Napoleon reference. I agree with the others that whatever the size of the dog owners are responsible for their dogs actions! However upon further reading it sounds like the guy might have used a nuke to kill a mouse, hard to say until the jogger puts in his 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Correct sir..

kpcw said:
While you are correct indeed, Magnolialover hit the nail on the head; the owner of a dog should be accountable/responsible for his/her dog. How could you have a law which has poodles exempt? All dogs are the responsibilty of all owners, imho.

Last year I parked my car, got out and next to me was an elderly couple enjoying a cup of coffee. In the back seat, they had two poodles, windows open and the dogs were hanging their heads out, tails waging, begging for attention. I went shopping and as I finished packing my car, I had to pet the dogs. Snap, bite...the one dog had little teeth that nipped at me. The cut needed a butterfly. I have my shots so there was no concern. THe owners did not even notice. I calmly let them know that the one dog is no so nice. I learned a lesson. Now what if that were my make-believe son or daughter and a poodle took their finger off?

All dogs are the responsibilty of all owners.
Correct sir.

Plainly stated, a dog is an animal as we all know, and sometimes they don't think for themselves. They see something flash by them, they get excited, and run after it. Jogger, cyclists, whatever, they can't help it. Most of them want to play and or chase down what is going past them. Instinct. We, being their owners, are there to help them along, to keep them safe, and to make sure that no harm comes to them. Coming from living in NC and riding through many dog infested counties of North Carolina, I have had more than my fair share of dogs come after me, and most times I am a lot more concerned that the dog doesn't get run over, rather than if he's going to bit me or not. A quick shot of water to the eyes works nicely to get them to stop, and run back to their house. I haven't had to kick a dog, yet, but I could see where it would happen.

Just because this dog was a poodle doesn't mean anything. Poodles, in my opinion, at least the toy ones, can be downright vicious, and their teeth are as sharp as any other dog's teeth, they might not be able to bit very hard, but let one latch onto your ankle, and see if you don't start kicking.

Owners need to be held responsible. This is ALL the dog owners fault. Dog contained. No kick. It's simple really, and for the record, this might be the only time KPCW and I agree on something, well, outside of the PO realm I think we agree a lot, but in there, forget about it. :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Being an owner of two dogs myself I strongly believe it is our responsibility as the owner's of the dogs to keep them under control but if our small dog somehow managed to wrangle free and barked at a jogger who then kicked her several times including a kick so hard that the dog went flying all the way across the other side of the road (that is one vicious kick, it isn't a get away from me kick, it is a I'm going to kill you kick) then I wouldn't hesitate going after the jogger myself.

Animal cruelty like that is often an indication of other more serious problems in an individual especially with a kick that hard.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If a dog's chasing me I'll do whatever the heck I want to it, doesn't matter what size it is. If people value their dogs, it is their responsibility to keep said dogs under control. It would be nice if one could take it out on the dog owners themselves and leave the dogs to watch by the sidelines, but alas...

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
jaseone said:
Being an owner of two dogs myself I strongly believe it is our responsibility as the owner's of the dogs to keep them under control but if our small dog somehow managed to wrangle free and barked at a jogger who then kicked her several times including a kick so hard that the dog went flying all the way across the other side of the road (that is one vicious kick, it isn't a get away from me kick, it is a I'm going to kill you kick) then I wouldn't hesitate going after the jogger myself.
The story as told from the "witnesses" and the owner admit that the dog was "nipping" and the joggers heels, I don't know how they define nipping but usually it involves more that just barking. If what you describe happened I would also go after the person myself. Toucha my dog I more than breaka your face, by I wouldn't let my dog run after people barking or nipping at them, as if he even would. (golden retreiver, cuddles and licks only)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Threatened by a 4 1/2 pound poodle?

The dogs owner should have kept control over his pet, but the jogger overreacted and then responded with an overly violent reaction. In my opinion there was no reason to try and deter the dog with in that manner.

I've had several face offs with much bigger dogs (Doberman, German Shepards) and I've avoided (luckily) physically harm to myself by yelling and/or squirting the dog with my water bottle.

From what I've heard kicking @ a charging dog will get you bit more often than not.

In a perfect world people would control their pets but we all know that isn't going to happen. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
396 Posts
No such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners...

That being said, I will take a large dog coming towards me ANY day over little Napolean. Little dogs are a pain in the ass. I have several small ones that are often out and running loose when I walk my dogs. I've come close to giving one the boot, and I would have had no issues with what I may have potentially done to him (the little $hit came running with teeth barred and looked rabid). I am amazed at how many times a small dog has tried to attack not only me, but my dogs (on a leash).

Oh, and my two pups? A Great Dane (with some social issues - canine related) who would never hurt a human, and a Lab-Rotty mix (130 pounds of lap dog). Yes, they can be intimidating, but the worst you'll get is a hard nose shot to the crotch.

More owners need to be better aware of what their dogs are doing. Mine are NEVER allowed out front without being closely watched or on a leash (we can close off our porch).

Lastly, is a Poodle (standard or toy) a real dog? Some say no, I say most I've known are a few fries short of a happy meal.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
He could be part of that small population that is terrified of small dogs. I've known many people in my life that have no fear of bigger dogs, but put a small dog around them and they get spooked. Maybe Grandma had a small dog that traumatized him at an early age, dunno. I do know those people will overreact to a poodle, where they wouldn't do anything with a Great Dane. Irrational fears make people act strangely.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Scott97 said:
The dogs owner should have kept control over his pet, but the jogger overreacted and then responded with an overly violent reaction. In my opinion there was no reason to try and deter the dog with in that manner.
That's why they have judges. Clearly the jogger has a right to defend himself but he probably doesn't have a right to kill or maim this 4 1/2 pound dog. Drawing the line is the judges job.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's almost pretty funny. The good news is that the dog won't be chasing any more people anytime soon.

However - kicking a 5 lb dog 3x is likely excessive, I'd have booted it just once.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How about when your kid reaches over the restaurant

magnolialover said:
I think that they should arrest the jackass owner for letting the dog run free. Keep your dog under control. I wouldn't hold anyone accountable for that, except for the owner, because when you boil it down, she is the root cause. Aren't there leash laws in Annapolis? I bet that there are since they are most everywhere. Stupid dog owners.

booth and grabs my hair I throw him across the room. My dog loves to play and wouldn't hurt a fly, come on by here and try and kick him when he runs after you, I'm beggin you. See what happens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jagoff

·
Registered
127 Posts
I somehow doubt his intent was to paralyze the dog. He was probably trying to defend himself (which you're allowed to do, as several posters point out) and caught it squarely, and down it went. But the media with their love of the sensationalistic human interest story will blow it all out of proportion and completely demonize him. I'm guessing they left out the part that he stopped to kick it again BECAUSE IT CONTINUED TRYING TO BITE HIM.

But, he probably should've just taken his biting and called animal control. Jogger vs. toy poodle is not life threatening. Most places take the dog for a period of time (to make sure it is not rabid) and give the dog back, if the owner pays a fine at the end of the quarantine. I know from having been bitten twice... one left this really cool scar.....

BTW, no one has yet pointed out, but there's difference between dog vs jogger and dog vs bike. Dogs (even little ones) can and have gotten caught in the wheels of a bicycle and caused a crash that seriously injured or even killed the rider. You would think that something potentially life threatening would justify the use of greater force. But again, explain that to a journalist looking for spin...

Practically speaking though, if you're kicking, you're pedaling at half force and your getaway is slower.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Pepe said:
BTW, no one has yet pointed out, but there's difference between dog vs jogger and dog vs bike. Dogs (even little ones) can and have gotten caught in the wheels of a bicycle and caused a crash that seriously injured or even killed the rider. You would think that something potentially life threatening would justify the use of greater force. But again, explain that to a journalist looking for spin.
Seeing as how you're the one who brought up spin, got any facts to back up your alligation?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with this guy

jaseone said:

Animal cruelty like that is often an indication of other more serious problems in an individual especially with a kick that hard.
I too own two dogs.I feel it is my responsibilty to keep them under control.They are harmless.However,they are fairly large(weimaraners)and I can see how they are intimidating.

If someone was to go as far as to strike one of them multiple times I wouldn't hesitate to go after that person and hurt them VERY badly.

I wasn't there(obviously)to witness this but from personal experience most dogs will flee if they are struck especially a poodle.Kicking the **** out of it then punting across the street seems like a bit much.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I'll bet every dog owner has had their dog accidently run out of an open door. Maybe they didn't realize the dog was there when they opened the door. Maybe the dog slipped it's collar. There's a ton of reasons why a dog gets out without the owners intent. It's accidental and calling the owner a jackass is way over the top. Sure the owner is responsible but three kicks and one hard enough to send the dog across the street is excessive for a 4-5 pound toy poodle. The dog could inflict some puncture wounds and scratches but there's no way this dog was threatening that joggers life or even serious injury. A little common sense goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts