Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 08 giant composite 1 road bike with raceface revolution stem...
when i measure it from the bolt in the top of steerer tube to the end of the stem it's coming in at 10.5 cm which makes no sense...(i am not an idoit, i know where to measure)

does anyone know which size stem the bike comes with from the factory?...100mm or 110mm?any help appreciated!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Take it off.

That stem comes in even 10-mm increments, so your measurement is off. Most manufacturers measure along the centerline of the extension tube, so you need to take the stem off to get an accurate measurement. Measuring along the top of an angled threadless stem will get inaccurate results. For example, turning the stem over for more rise shortens the dimension over the one measured with the stem at less rise.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
FatTireFred said:
no need to take it off, just measure properly... center to center. given your 10.5cm measured to the end it's likely 10cm
Well, I agree with you on not taking it off, but that's because 5 mm short or long wouldn't make any difference to me. But for what it's worth, center-to-center measured on top of the stem is not the same as center-to-center measured along the center line of the extension tube. I also wondered about the OP's " . . . to the end of the stem," but he did say he knew how to measure . . .:D

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
but there's no need to be exact since you say those stems come in 1cm increments... close enough works. hopefully he could deduce what size based on a more accurate but close enough measurement (he said he's "not an idiot").

then again, if he takes the stem off, the next question could very well be regarding getting it back on, or loose handlebars, or something like that...

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
FatTireFred said:
but there's no need to be exact since you say those stems come in 1cm increments... close enough works. hopefully he could deduce what size based on a more accurate but close enough measurement (he said he's "not an idiot").

if he takes the stem off, the next question could very well be regarding getting it back on, or loose handlebars, or something like that...
LOL, right you are. And don't forget the questions on the loose headset, the misaligned stem and stem bolt torque values . . .

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
10cm...

The actual measurement is taken along the side, center to center, but taking the stem off is a wast of time. When measuring along the top, the stem will measure 3-5mm longer than the advertised length. It's a 10cm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.