Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Anyone who uses the term, "I was just skiing merrily along..." has earned whatever contrary orneriness Mother Nature cares to dish out.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i think birds attacked the olympic mtn bike racers in Atlanta during the '96 games.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
WAY bitd when I was stationed on Camp Pendleton me and a couple other guys were sitting under a tree on a hillside behind the barracks smoking a bowl and it was just getting dark. Since we are on a hillside there is sky directly in front of us and we see this huge owl coming right at us. Its wing span had to be at least four feet. It's just cruising in and I'm wondering "is this thing after us?" It landed in the tree right above us. I think because we were wearing camouflaged utilities and sitting still it didn't see us. One of us moved and it took off.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I was talking with my dentist's receptionist about cycling around town and telling her about a cool owl sighting I had on a sunrise ride through a MUT that runs through a big wooded park and she told me that one time when her daughter was cycling through that park an owl landed on her shoulders and started grabbing at her ponytail.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
WAY bitd when I was stationed on Camp Pendleton me and a couple other guys were sitting under a tree on a hillside behind the barracks smoking a bowl and it was just getting dark. Since we are on a hillside there is sky directly in front of us and we see this huge owl coming right at us. Its wing span had to be at least four feet. It's just cruising in and I'm wondering "is this thing after us?" It landed in the tree right above us. I think because we were wearing camouflaged utilities and sitting still it didn't see us. One of us moved and it took off.
naw, he bolted after figguring you guys were just going to bogart that pipe

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Anyone who uses the term, "I was just skiing merrily along..." has earned whatever contrary orneriness Mother Nature cares to dish out.
yep that's what happens when you're merry. you've been warned.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I think it was just the military grade weed y'all were smoking. The owl may or may not have been there. :p :D

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
JustTooBig said:
What? You've never heard someone start a story, "So I was JSMA when..."

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Fredke said:
What? You've never heard someone start a story, "So I was JSMA when..."
Well maybe I did hear that before. But then I felt a compulsive urge to go all OWL on 'em.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I've been swooped at before.......a great horned is HUGE.....they could do some serious damage.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
My friend was photographing the Peregerine Falcon that lives in downtown Baltimore. He went up to the roof of our building while the bird was eating dinner. As he clicked away his thought process was something like, "wow that's cool, wow he's flying up, oh cool he looks great flying right above me like that. wow he's getting high, wow he's coming back, oh man this is a great photo, man he's diving on something, man look at him go...OH ****". He ended up with claw marks on his right arm.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
We've got hawks nesting on the hospital campus. Last year they chose the emergency entrance for the psych unit. "No you're not that crazy, you are being attacked by hawks"

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I remember......I was attacked by a red-tail in our driveway one evening, she had a chick on the ground, teaching it to fly. Never touched me BUT I went down in the gravel......no injury but I was a scared, Hawks and owls are REALLY sharp.... ALL OVER....talons....beaks......

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
funknuggets said:
Careful, this thread will give chuckice nightmares...

anyone remember this?

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=57624

I was just riding merrily along minding my own business...
Fixed it. Now do we see what happens? Mother Nature (and birds in particular) just does not like it when we humans get too damned merry.

It's part of the animal conspiracy, I tell ya! The stories of the carnage begin with "I was just (insert appropriate activity here) merrily along when, all of a sudden....." and then continues to tell of a subversive avian attack. I've heard that the mammals are picking up on the tactic also. So ..... avoid merriment in nature to reduce the risk of being maimed by Woody Woodpecker or any of his fiendish accomplices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts