Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those Freds on this board who said Jan was fat, when he clearly wasn't. That he didnt train, or care about cycling.... Don't you feel a little silly today?

Also the same people who talk about Tommy D like he is a 22 year neo-pro who is the 2nd coming of Eddie/Lance/Miguel/Greg

time to wake up and smell the Bratwurst

· Registered
663 Posts
Hear hear

It's time to give a bit of credit where it's due - Der Kaizer is back and will be a force in this year's Tour. In fact I'd probably prefer to be him right now than Basso, given the fact that it's hugely challenging raising your game for a second successive major tour in two months. Jan is only going to get better, but Basson is probably at his best right now with a very challenging final week ahead. Go Jan you good thing.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
surftel said:
Those Freds on this board who said Jan was fat, when he clearly wasn't. That he didnt train, or care about cycling.... Don't you feel a little silly today?

His power is clearly there (even if he probably got a favorable wind in today's stage) as was indicated in the TTT but I still say he is fat (in the sense of not being at his Tour weight). How else would you explain his appearance and his poor prologue which was largely a hill climb TT? He loses 5kg and he will be in the hunt for the Tour again this year.

I'll let the people who made the other claims defend those because I don't agree with any of them. I'll just say it's a shame people have talked Danielson up as the second coming otherwise his preformances so far have been pretty good in Europe but nothing spectacular.

· Banned
2,843 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
His power is clearly there (even if he probably got a favorable wind in today's stage) as was indicated in the TTT but I still say he is fat (in the sense of not being at his Tour weight). How else would you explain his appearance and his poor prologue which was largely a hill climb TT? He loses 5kg and he will be in the hunt for the Tour again this year.
He's fat becuase he's not at tour weight in may, HUMMMMMMmmmm. I'll need to think about that one.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
FTF said:
But he's a fat ass right now right, becuase he's not at tour weight now....
I never said that, nor have I ever been one to bash him about his weight or supposedly poor training habits. Armstrong always looked fat at this time of year as well and got rid of those extra kgs as the Tour approached. If I put "fat" in quotes would you feel better?

· Banned
2,843 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I never said that, nor have I ever been one to bash him about his weight or supposedly poor training habits. Armstrong always looked fat at this time of year as well and got rid of those extra kgs as the Tour approached. If I put "fat" in quotes would you feel better?

Uhuh.

· Registered
113 Posts
surftel said:

Also the same people who talk about Tommy D like he is a 22 year neo-pro who is the 2nd coming of Eddie/Lance/Miguel/Greg

its always the same history... people "say" things without proving it. i "think this" i "think that".. boring as hell mad2:

· Banned
3,060 Posts
After today's little tilt, I would like to officially state that - "I do not think Jan is Sandbagging"

Thank you for listening.

· Banned
608 Posts
jbrumm said:
After today's little tilt, I would like to officially state that - "I do not think Jan is Sandbagging"
Don't you mean, "He was sandbagging, but not anymore? Or at least not today."

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Freds?

I am a contrarian to the hype. And your post is another example of hype.

When people said Ulle was done after Romandie prologue, I said "it was too technical and therefore meaningless".

When people said Ulle was done after Giro prologue, I said "he has time to ride himself into shape".

When people said after TTT "Ulle is in excellent shape, not overweight at all and right on schedule "no - he IS out of shape, and he IS behind schedule".

Now I expect everyone to jump on Ulle's bandwagon but my overall opinion hasn't really changed. I know now what I already knew before - Ullrich is a world class time trialist, who is approaching TdF while not on top of his ("climbing") shape, and hasn't left much time for himself to allow room for errors. He really needs to shape up to be competitive.

Today was a proof that Ulle has power. But he always has power. Anyone who has done flat time trials knows the difference between that and climbing 10,000 ft. You can be 10, 20 lbs overweight, but have the engine to pull along on the flats, that along doesn't make you a tour contender.

Today was a surprise, but it wasn't from Ulle, it was from Basso (compared to Simoni and Cunego). I think that correcting for the wind that clearly picked up in the end (judging by times of Rodgers, Honchar and others), Basso's effort was every bit as impressive, if not more so, than Ullrich's. And Basso didn't exactly slack of in the mountains either.

The only problem - nobody knows how long Basso can hold his form. But if he does have the same form in July, Ullrich will be left fighting for second (or third) even if the next 6 weeks of training go perfect for him. Basso is leaving guys like Cunego, Simoni, DiLuca in the dust in the mountains - does anyone want to claim Ullrich will be a better climber than Cunego?

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Spinnerman said:
You might want to let people know that this is a spoiler in case they don't want to know the results of todays TT until after they get home and can watch the replay on cycling.tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People coming to this site instead of heading for cycling.tv and clicking on "Don't you feel a little stupid?" deserve to answer that question with a categoric "YES!"

· Registered
11,561 Posts
"I know now what I already knew before - Ullrich is a world class time trialist, who is approaching TdF while not on top of his ("climbing") shape, and hasn't left much time for himself to allow room for errors. He really needs to shape up to be competitive."

New year but isn't that the same story as always? I believe I'm correct in saying that every year save one he's been in form for the Tour and the one year he wasn't he was kept out by a knee injury, right? Somebody should check out how he did the last time he rode the Giro in preparation for the Tour. If anything today indicates he's probably ahead of his normal form at this time of year, this has to be a better result than he got then.

"Today was a surprise, but it wasn't from Ulle, it was from Basso (compared to Simoni and Cunego). I think that correcting for the wind that clearly picked up in the end (judging by times of Rodgers, Honchar and others), Basso's effort was every bit as impressive, if not more so, than Ullrich's. And Basso didn't exactly slack of in the mountains either."

I think most thought Ullrich would be in the top-10 but to win? I'd say that was a surprise that he pulled that off. Basso was very good today to beat the likes of Honchar.

"The only problem - nobody knows how long Basso can hold his form. But if he does have the same form in July, Ullrich will be left fighting for second (or third) even if the next 6 weeks of training go perfect for him. Basso is leaving guys like Cunego, Simoni, DiLuca in the dust in the mountains - does anyone want to claim Ullrich will be a better climber than Cunego?"

But don't you think Basso is probably at his best now and Ullrich still has a ways to go? I think he needs to lose some weight sure, but you would also expect his power to keep getting better as well wouldn't you?

I went and looked it up. In 2001 when Ullrich rode the Giro he finished in 62nd place in the Stage 15 time trial (55.5km and the only one in the race that year) at over 7 minutes behind the winner...who was Simoni. IIRC, it was a rolling, somewhat twisty course. That was one of the years he finished 2nd to Armstrong at the Tour.

· soy un perdedor
839 Posts
What would we do if we could not speculate wildly over Jan's chubby cheeks? Work?

Message boards thrive on uninformed opinions, unlikely hypotheses, and incorrect postulates. That's what makes them great. If we knew everything, there would be nothing to discuss.

Tom Danielson will become the greatest cyclist to ever live.
:D

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
55x11 said:
Now I expect everyone to jump on Ulle's bandwagon but my overall opinion hasn't really changed. I know now what I already knew before - Ullrich is a world class time trialist, who is approaching TdF while not on top of his ("climbing") shape, and hasn't left much time for himself to allow room for errors. He really needs to shape up to be competitive.

Good post. Everyone is soo polarized and wishy-washy about the Ullrich issue. I guess this is a message board and folks like to sound-off about a high profile athlete like Ullrich. There is a often a glut of analysis-paralysis though.

I will do my part though and not take part in the wild mood swings and speculation. I am a big Ullrich fan and am very happy to see him progress this year. Let's hope for a good battle in the TDF.

francois

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well for me

I never bought into the hype. I'm sure der Kaiser is on schedule.
second it was a fairly flat TT where if he is carrying extra weight it would not hurt him. if his watts are good, the only time weight is gonna hurt him is on the steeps.
nice stage Jan, and it surely was meant to get inside Basso's head.
So, instead of bashing on Jan why don't we instead bash the Italians who, now that they are exposed to more 'Tour Riders' in their Giro are shown to be sub par All around GC racers. Simoni, Di Luca, Cunego, these fellows got crushed. I love the Giro but this dominance of the old Pre Pro Tour heads of state show that this race has not seen pure top tier talent for most of these years.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.