Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKAI7FBx4Ow

I shot this video today as I was riding along the Bay Trail in Berkeley, California and am compelled to share. I flagged down another cyclist to help me rescue a snake that was really intent on crossing the trail. Things got out of hand quickly. We eventually released the snake to safety.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

I lived in Berkeley for six years and a lot of weird stuff took place, but never that.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I had a snake throw off my X Mark ZTR mower last year. I hit it and it went, like at 50mph flying onto the barn wall. I was sure it was a belt. But it was snake. A very dead one. Hot chot caught up under the mower deck and wham!

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's rather scary for me to notice that the "branch" in front of me on the street is a snake... (Berkeley hills mostly).
Sometimes I manage to swerve away from it, sometimes I'm just edging by...
in the latter case I'm afraid the snake might bite me
and I have no clue which of those snakes are poisonous.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this road biking you're talking about? I ride the Skyline / Grizzly / Snake Rd / Redwood Rd area and have yet to see a snake there. You see them fairly often? Sheesh, that's something to think about when you're barreling down one of the hills.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Only road cycling for me.
Mostly on Tunnel Rd -- but that's probably "observer bias" as it is my main route to get up the hills.
I've also seen a few on Redwood Rd.
It's usually in spring on warm days when the sun is heating the tarmac while the surrounding areas are still cooler.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I used to do that ride 3 or more times a week. I think it was the only way I could survive grad school.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
So, are you saying you were riding, saw a snake in the road and stopped to help it along? And flagged down another rider to help?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
guy I know bunny-hopped a 3-ft long rattlesnake, landed wrong and ended up with a compound fracture of the lower leg.

luckily, the snake went the other direction, he would have been an easy target while he was wadded up on the pavement.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
So, are you saying you were riding, saw a snake in the road and stopped to help it along? And flagged down another rider to help?
He said it was in Berkeley.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
A few years back, there was a big dead bull snake on the road. It coiled up as I passed it. Guess it wasn't dead and I guess I left a stain in my chamois.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
A few years back, there was a big dead bull snake on the road. It coiled up as I passed it. Guess it wasn't dead and I guess I left a stain in my chamois.
A coupla friends and myself were walking past what looked like a squashed 4ft rattlesnake in the middle of a gravel road that surprised the hell out of us when it let us know that it was, alive and healthy, basking in the heat of the sun.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
A coupla friends and myself were walking past what looked like a squashed 4ft rattlesnake in the middle of a gravel road that surprised the hell out of us when it let us know that it was, alive and healthy, basking in the heat of the sun.
None of those in my immediate area. I'd treat all snakes as rattlesnakes in the western part of my state.

Saw a mean 'ol snapping turtle yesterday near the road. Looked fierce util I took out my camera phone. It was apparently very camera shy.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I view all snakes as venomous, heartless man-killers. This philosophy has done well by me.

A few years ago I was at the Sydney aquarium and this girl had a big snake set out on a fake tree to interact with. I decided to let her take a picture of me with my face up near it. After the photo the girl scooped up the snake and I was talking to her. She casually mentioned that none of the other workers liked to handle this snake because it had a reputation for biting. She could of mentioned that before I stuck my face next to it

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
I view all snakes as venomous, heartless man-killers. This philosophy has done well by me.

A few years ago I was at the Sydney aquarium and this girl had a big snake set out on a fake tree to interact with. I decided to let her take a picture of me with my face up near it. After the photo the girl scooped up the snake and I was talking to her. She casually mentioned that none of the other workers liked to handle this snake because it had a reputation for biting. She could of mentioned that before I stuck my face next to it
This brings another memory out of my file.

I once knew a fellow who was handling someone elses pet constrictor or python or something, and was bit on the forearm by it. His arm swelled up like a balloon and got all kinds of infected, causing him to loose 3 or 4 months of work.

I don't know if the infection was caused by nasty bacteria from the snakes mouth or poor wound maintenance on his part.

I prefer dogs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts