Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threw my gear in the wash yesterday. Upon removal, found my Garmin HRM mixed in the pile.:eek:
No water inside the battery area when I pulled the cover. Let it sit open for a few hours just in case. Reassembled and all appears to be working ok. I guess it is tougher than it looks.:thumbsup:
I think I was lucky since I ran the delicate cycle and it is a high efficiently washer, so not so much water.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I shower with mine all the time.. Never even think twice about it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pretty sure they're all waterproof. Otherwise they'd be pretty useless for triathletes (they don't work in the water, but they're worn in the water - a triathlete doesn't want to spend time in transition 1 strapping it on), not to mention heavy sweaters. I've swam with both Garmin and Wahoo HR straps.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
They have a rubber seal around the battery and electronics and it is water resistant at least. Continuous perspiration would run the thing quickly without that seal. I washed mine one time also and nothing happened and just recently put in a new battery and the insides looked good. The rubber seal has an exact orientation and it's a bit fiddly to put it back together.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I washed my TICKR the other day. I opened it up and let it dry overnight. It still works fine.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: While the unit powered up, on my next ride it was reading strange. At first reading over 200 bpm as I started my ride. I put some water on the sensor pads and it shot down to 150 bpm, but the remainder of my ride it was still off (low) by about 20 bpm. I am going to try and clean the pads with some alcohol, maybe the detergent did something to the surface to cause reading issues.
So this error may end up costing me a strap, which is about 6 months old.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I guess I spoke too soon. My TICKR lasted about 1/4 way through a 2 hr ride today. I was able to revive it by taking the battery out and putting it back in, but it died again a bit later.

Guess it's time for a new one....

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
Moral of the story: Always wash your Garmin on the delicate setting. :D

Seriously, I would think the biggest issue is mixing water and electronics. I would let it sit open more than just a few hours - more like a couple of days, just to make sure it's good and dry before powering it up. Powering it up wet could be the kiss of death.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I can't help but laugh at the irony that there is a 3 page about washing water bottles going on.
Yeah, kudos to the OP for washing something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My guess is the problem is that people are opening them up to begin with. They should be opened when the battery needs replacing, not because it got wet.

They're all WATERPROOF. Designed to be worn IN THE WATER and by heavy sweaters. Should you wash them in a washing machine? Probably not - but the problem isn't the water itself, it's probably the banging around, or perhaps the soap. Wash them by hand.

The Garmin ones will die eventually; they all do. Probably the Wahoo HR straps as well, although I haven't killed mine after two years.

Moral of the story: Always wash your Garmin on the delicate setting. :D

Seriously, I would think the biggest issue is mixing water and electronics. I would let it sit open more than just a few hours - more like a couple of days, just to make sure it's good and dry before powering it up. Powering it up wet could be the kiss of death.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts