Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming down 181st street to a crossover. I'm usually extra careful, it was raining. I don't take the hill fast, and I usually keep out far enough to stay away from an unexpected door. This onw had my name on it. Bang! Hand knee and shoulder, was not thrown and was on my cross bike cause of the rain. No damage, and I know what it feels like to really screw up something. Only the brake hood was turned, could move my hand though. A word of caution--took off my glove later and found a big boo-boo on my knuckle. Gotta check yourself! Glad I wear full finger Mnt bike gloves though. They saved me big time.

Get to work and the pants I packed are red cause my kid left a red sock in his pocket.

Kept laughing...till

a friend of mine offers to do several hundred dollars, if not thousand, legal services for free. Just goes to show you that you never know how your day will turn out!!!!

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No reason to sue

Bike was not damaged and my knee is better. Scapula has a knot in it and I have a cut on my hand. Took aspirin and herbs and there is next to no swelling. Suing would compensate very little. Have a friend who got hit in the face by a door by one of the greeters at TGI Fridays. She lost memory and got migranes to this day--and only got 40000. It would not be worth pursuing.

In all I got off very cheap. I would rather keep my body intactt and my wallet empty to be honest.

· Registered
31 Posts
I got doored when I turned into the street from a bike shop. Hit the door at probably 7 mph as I was just started. No physical injury but my Dura Ace Cervelo Soloist Team ($3300) had it's shifter and handlebar misaligned. All I asked was that she pay the bike shop to straighten out my bike. Now if it was a 20 mph crashed I would have made her pay more.

I got partially doored another time; they just nicked my panniers.

I now bike out of range but if traffic squeezes me I go only 15 mph.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
It's good to get a reminder occasionally about the dangers of car doors. I have noticed that I get 'comfortable' riding close to the cars and forget about the doors. I need to go back to taking the lane more often.

Glad you had no serious injuries, to you and to the bike.

· Registered
444 Posts
Having been doored, as well... I just want to add that you should keep an eye on parked cars to see if someone is in it. Look for the back of the head through the back windshield.

I was doored by a car with no window frame and the window rolled down, so just the door. I went over the door and the front end of my cheap old bike was mangled, but i was fine. the driver freaked out an wrote me a check right there! Afterwards people suggested that she might have been operating the car illegally, maybe no license/insurance or maybe drunk. So she could have been in deep doodoo if I called the fuzz.

Hey, I got a new bike and no injuries. But I was in my early twenties. I think at this point, ten years later, I would not heal so fast from the same situation.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I was wondering about that the other day - is it always legally the driver's fault for opening their door without looking? I would assume so since they are opening their door in to a lane of travel, but just checking. Thankfully it's never happened to me, and hopefully it never will!

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
F=ma

Just one more point, I was really saved by the fact I was going slow, even though the hill is steep. I was pushed out near the car doors. If it had not ben raining I might have escaped unscathed.

F=MA
Force of impact=MassxAcceleration
Force =200 pounds of bike and riderx10mph
Force=2000
vs
Force=200 pounds of bike and riderx25mph
Force=5000

As an old physics prof said to me "force increases exponentially with acceleration."

be careful....

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Please explain A?

867-5309 said:
F=MA
Force of impact=MassxAcceleration
Force =200 pounds of bike and riderx10mph
Force=2000
vs
Force=200 pounds of bike and riderx25mph
Force=5000

As an old physics prof said to me "force increases exponentially with acceleration."
All true, except when did velocity become acceleration? I think you're confusing force with power. :) You must have taken physics a long time ago, or you just crammed for the tests and it didn't stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.