Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legally Speaking - with Bob Mionske: Doored v. Nailed

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9615.0.html

I'm sure most here visit velonews.com on a regular basis but none the less I felt it would be good to point out this article as a must read. This has been a topic of discussion here before and no doubt it will again. I know someone who was killed when they were doored and then run over by a car. The risk of being door is one of most nasty risks out there for us cyclist. I've had many close calls and it give me the shivers just thinking about it.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Safe riding

The article gets to it at the end - while the motorist should look before opening the door, it's your responsibility to ride outside the door zone. This has been a principle of Effective Cycling for at least 30 years.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry Irons said:
The article gets to it at the end - while the motorist should look before opening the door, it's your responsibility to ride outside the door zone. This has been a principle of Effective Cycling for at least 30 years.

Yes of course... if the big black SUV will let you. I can't possibly remember how many times I've had people honk, b!tch and threaten because I was trying to ride outside the door zone. Getting squeezed over by trucks happens on an all to regularly.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Prerogatives

rocco said:
Yes of course... if the big black SUV will let you. I can't possibly remember how many times I've had people honk, b!tch and threaten because I was trying to ride outside the door zone. Getting squeezed over by trucks happens on an all to regularly.
They can only squeeze if you let them. Obviously there can be dangerous situations, but they have no right to force you into the danger zone. If they need to discuss the situation, you can deal with them appropriately, communicating by a friendly wave or other sign language :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts