Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riders doped, dope and probably will in future too. Other athletes from other sports do so as well and in some cases, their respective sports are not really cleaning up as much as cycling does.

So ok, this guy dopes, gets caught and gets a ban etc.

What I've always been wondering is, how will these people go on to answer this question from their kids : "So daddy, you cheated and lied to everyone?"

All these people gonna come up with a "Sorry kiddo, I know it was wrong and daddy made a big mistake back then. You should never do the same" ?? wtf? :rolleyes:

And what about those who are caught for a second time etc? :mad2:

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I doubt a kid would ask the father something like that, straight up.

These guys aren't really concerned about potential long-term consequences, only immediate benefits. And they might beleive they didn't really do anything wrong.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, but when other kids say their dad cheated, they're bound to ask somehow...

Then what? Lie straight to your kids? Wonderful...

· Banned
3,262 Posts
in the lance to landis book

uzziefly said:
Maybe, but when other kids say their dad cheated, they're bound to ask somehow...

Then what? Lie straight to your kids? Wonderful...
this was discussed re Steven Swart and his son on page 70. His son is a big cycling fan. He doesn't know how he is going to bring himself to tell his son...

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
mohair is right. "Everyone was doing it but it was a bad idea. You shouldn't do it. Oh yeah, I'm a hypocrite."

So maybe not the last sentence, but the kid isn't going to question his father verbally. He/she will definitely think it, though.

You can still respect people who change, though. I've had role models, even in my family, who have a shady drug past. They cleaned up and got over it, though, and they are again my role models. I think Millar/people who clean up the second time around have a better explanation for "learning from their mistakes and being clean" than people like Ulrich or Vinokourov.

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Only thing one can do with their kids is keep the channels of communication open. No matter what. This is probably one of the hardest things a parent can do be it alcohol, marijuana, hard drugs, steroids etc. Humans in general hate being lectured.
The best way to deal with it is be truthful. If the kids want to ask you questions about your past, be honest with them at least. The other thing is teach them to take responsibility for their actions.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
mohair is right. "Everyone was doing it but it was a bad idea. You shouldn't do it. Oh yeah, I'm a hypocrite."
There is nothing hypocritical about gaining wisdom from your experiences. Lots of people have or do use recreational drugs and come to believe it wasn't (isn't) a good thing for them to do or that their kids should do them.

· Banned
3,262 Posts
Mature point of view

Dwayne Barry said:
There is nothing hypocritical about gaining wisdom from your experiences. Lots of people have or do use recreational drugs and come to believe it wasn't (isn't) a good thing for them to do or that their kids should do them.
I was a little thrown by the post you answered. Thanks for the honest wise take on things.

"Man is no angel, He is sometimes more of a hypocrite and sometimes less, and then fools say that he has or has not principles."

Honore de Balzac

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.