·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
425 Posts
TDF dopers are sitting ducks

"We know that Micera was being used on the Giro, so I'm not surprised that it's also turned up at the Tour."

Manufacturer of CERA / Micera gave The World Anti-Doping Agency all info of the drug for athlete testing before it was released as Dr's figured it was undetectable. It may not be a legal test (I dont konw) at this point but it could/has scared riders into talking!!!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
sevencycle said:
It may not be a legal test (I dont konw) at this point but it could/has scared riders into talking!!!
It's hard to tell, one guy from WADA seems to be saying he's shocked as there is no approved test, other guy is implying they've been working on it for awhile and were just waiting to spring it on them?

It may come down to the legal arrangements for the Tour, AFLD may be able to test riders with non-WADA approved protocols if that is what the riders' teams agreed to.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was a known in the Giro, I'm surprised the Italian police were not involved. They don't seem to be at all shy about pursuing drugs in sport. - TF

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
It's hard to tell, one guy from WADA seems to be saying he's shocked as there is no approved test, other guy is implying they've been working on it for awhile and were just waiting to spring it on them?

It may come down to the legal arrangements for the Tour, AFLD may be able to test riders with non-WADA approved protocols if that is what the riders' teams agreed to.

wada's spokesman seems to be <a href="http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/news/?id=/news/2008/jul08/jul18news">saying</a> that they've got a presumably approved test.

<i>
He was able to confirm that co-operation in the case of Micera has enabled its detection by WADA-accredited laboratories. "Thanks to the co-operation of the manufacturer of this substance (Roche) and of WADA-accredited laboratories, WADA received the molecule well in advance and was able to develop ways to detect it.

"WADA will continue to further enhance its detection methods for EPO as it does with every test, in order to further maximize chances of catching cheaters."</i>

·
McNuke
18 Posts
Test them all - right NOW!!!!

No refusals allowed: get a sample from everyone in the race today. Test each for this drug... We'll get all the cheaters at once. :thumbsup:

Also, since this drug has only been available a short time; it should be possible to trace it to all users (and suppliers). Therefore, we get the cheating athletes and their dealers. A clean(er) slate.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Yeah that is the quote I'm interpreting as indicated they do have a vetted test, although it doesn't explicitly say it. While Audren (sp?), explicitly stated in today's interview on cyclingnews that there was no WADA-approved test.
Audran is UCI (passport consultant). Maybe the French and WADA purposefully kept this under wraps until the tour to catch the usual suspects off guard??? - TF

·
Banned
608 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Yeah that is the quote I'm interpreting as indicated they do have a vetted test, although it doesn't explicitly say it. While Audren (sp?), explicitly stated in today's interview on cyclingnews that there was no WADA-approved test.
Here is a question: If the tests for various kinds of EPO are just interpretation of the same test data, can the data be reinterpreted to detect Mircera/CERA? Could the test data from the Giro be reinterpreted?

G

·
mcnuke said:
No refusals allowed: get a sample from everyone in the race today. Test each for this drug... We'll get all the cheaters at once. :thumbsup:

Also, since this drug has only been available a short time; it should be possible to trace it to all users (and suppliers). Therefore, we get the cheating athletes and their dealers. A clean(er) slate.
Well, the AFLD probably doesn't have the man power for this - but they should increase the random testing to their maximum capacity. Everyone who's taken CERA will be p*ssing their shorts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
AJL said:
Well, the AFLD probably doesn't have the man power for this - but they should increase the random testing to their maximum capacity. Everyone who's taken CERA will be p*ssing their shorts.
Not sure if I buy that argument. Take samples from all riders and start running the tests. Maybe they are still testing 1mo after the races ends, but at least you have the result and can announce the result. Le Tour would be cleaner if every Giro rider was tested, etc.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,337 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Audran is UCI (passport consultant). Maybe the French and WADA purposefully kept this under wraps until the tour to catch the usual suspects off guard??? - TF
That was my thought....especially from what the WADA has said about this...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.